How to do leash corrections? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 6Likes
  • 2 Post By dogma13
  • 4 Post By Deb

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 06:22 AM Thread Starter

How to do leash corrections?

Hello,
My dog fairly knows his basic commands and he listens most of the time. However, there are times where he does not listen because he is either distracted or not paying attention. I am wanting to know how to do leash corrections when my dog does not follow commands.

Is this the general idea of a leash correction?

Human: Sit
Dog: *Does not sit*
Human: *pop* *pop* (until dog sits)
Dog: *sits*
Human: *stop leash pop*

Also, does this apply to other commands such as down, watch me, and leave it?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 12:45 PM

A dog may know and obey commands in the particular places where you practice;in the house,the yard,the park.In a different location and with new distractions he will require practice there also and you will learn how to keep him engaged with you.
Only when he thoroughly knows the command,knows the location,and can work with distractions is it fair to correct.One pop should do it and don't forget Praise!
Deb and Chip18 like this.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 12:53 PM
Deb
Knighted Member

Your dog learns how to do something at home and is perfect at it. Now you take him somewhere else and he doesn't do it. He hasn't learned yet to transfer the knowledge at home to the new place. It's like teaching your child the letter a. If you show them a flashcard they can tell you it's an a and what sound it makes. If you show them a word with the letter a in it and ask what it is, they don't know or can't tell you the sound. They haven't made the transference of knowledge from one place to another. They have to learn it is still the same thing, the same letter, the same sound, even with the distractions of other letters around it. Same with dogs, they have to learn it is the same thing in all places, not just at home or in the house or in the backyard or the front yard.
Chip18, dogma13, sebrench and 1 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 01:19 PM
Elite Member

IMHO corrections are an art that shouldn't be learned from a book or online.

Bad timing. Too harsh. Too soft. Can all be disastrous. Dangerous to the dog and handler at worst and ineffective or unfair and best.

I highly recommend finding a good trainer who can evaluate your dog and observe the two of you work together. They will teach proper corrections leash and otherwise.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

Hi! Thanks for your response.
Sadly, I cannot enroll in training classes as of now because of financial issues. What could you recommend I do? Just stick to no correction training?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 04:37 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your response!
I just now realized that the problem of my dog not listening is due to the environment because I have noticed that he listens well inside of the house but not as much outside.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the response!
I think that is exactly the case. I will try to do more outside or new environment work to see how it goes. Great explanation by the way!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page