Camping and tie-outs? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Camping and tie-outs?

Spring is coming and camping season! Our girls (6 & 3) have never been tied out at home. We walk them on leashes, but we usually go to off leash locations. We tend to camp off season, and in more remote places when and where they are off leash. The issue that we are working on is when we stay at more active sites, where the dogs have to be on a line. They react strongly to anything, squirrels, people, dogs, stuff they totally ignore when not restrained. It's easier if they are on a leash right with us, but that isn't always practical in a campsite so they need to be on tie-outs. I'm just not sure how to set up the situations to train them. I would say this comes up 3-4 times per year. We usually stay at more populated sites on our way to our preferred locations, so stopping in the evening and out again in the am.
So yes Della (on left) looks very heavy in this picture. It's hair, she actually weighs less the Tessa, who has been recently groomed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_2248.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	227.2 KB
ID:	402593  

"If there ever comes a day when we can't be together,keep me in your heart, I'll stay there forever." A.A. Milne
Karen

Tessa~GSD
Della~GSD

Last edited by ksotto333; 01-15-2017 at 11:22 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 11:51 AM
Crowned Member

For such short periods of time would containment work better vs tie outs? like keeping them in the camper unless you're out with them. Densely packed camp grounds and dogs on tie outs sounds a bit risky, at least from the picture I'm getting.

Both our coaties look larger than they are, especially Ranger, His coat is more "bushy". Once they get wet it's like "hey where did the rest of you go??"
ksotto333 likes this.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 12:19 PM
Elite Member

I use a 15' chain. She just has to deal with it when I can't pay attention to her.
ksotto333 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

We do leave them in the camper sometimes,its just usually after a 8 hour ride in the back of the Suburban. I just hate how they look when they hit the rope and act like idiots. I'm sure no one would imagine how well behaved they are normally. And yes, if we see someone approaching I go over to them, and make them down prior to idiocy setting in.

"If there ever comes a day when we can't be together,keep me in your heart, I'll stay there forever." A.A. Milne
Karen

Tessa~GSD
Della~GSD

post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 05:09 PM
Knighted Member

Yeah, lunging at stuff will look scary. There are tie outs that have some type of bungee built in to lessen the whole hitting the end of the rope madness...not sure about it as I haven't looked into it. We're going to stay for a week at a state park in August and more than likely i'll just take Varik with me or leave him kenneled in the cabin if we go out to eat or something.
ksotto333 likes this.

Xan Varik von Fernheim (born 4/3/13)
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 08:11 PM
Banned

Hmm I don't go camping and I've never had to do this with my dogs?? But .. .hey ... no problem, the tie outs are only an "issue" if the dogs know they are there! I would doubt ... you would plan on being away from them for two hours or more?? Because that is the standard for a fully trained "Place Command." Attach the tie out and tell the dogs ... "Place" problem solved.

Now how much time it takes ... is up to you. But ...how to get there ... looks like this. :

Fearful, Anxious or Flat Crazy "The Place CommanD - Boxer Forum : Boxer Breed Dog Forums

Ask questions and welcome aboard.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 08:19 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip18 View Post
Hmm I don't go camping and I've never had to do this with my dogs?? But .. .hey ... no problem, the tie outs are only an "issue" if the dogs know they are there! I would doubt ... you would plan on being away from them for two hours or more?? Because that is the standard for a fully trained "Place Command." Attach the tie out and tell the dogs ... "Place" problem solved.

Now how much time it takes ... is up to you. But ...how to get there ... looks like this. :

Fearful, Anxious or Flat Crazy "The Place CommanD - Boxer Forum : Boxer Breed Dog Forums

She has 2,072 posts.
ksotto333 likes this.

If you need equipment to maintain control of your dog, understand you’re hanging on to your dog’s body because you’ve lost his mind!

Suzanne Clothier
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 08:37 PM
Crowned Member

I have been hoping to get hubby to let me bring x pens to set up around our little roll out outdoor carpet thing that we put in front of the rv. We set it up at home as a test and it worked great but then every time we pack up he complains and doesn't want to bring the x pens. So I wind up tying them with training lines- the cotton ones, because its what I have. My old dog won't bother with anyone and the young one is pretty good on voice commands so I am banking on him never running and hitting the end of it full force because it probably wouldn't hold him.

Will still be trying for the x pens next year because our rv is so small the floorspace is just one skinny little hallway and the dogs really can't walk around or lay out (they can in the beds) and the young one gets a little cookoo during rv trips.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip18 View Post

Thanks for the welcome, I've been here a few years. We would never leave them alone at a campsite outside of the camper. I've wondered whether its the tie out or being more alert in unfamiliar places. I would prefer they be able to stretch their legs, I can't imagine a 2 hour place command after an eight hour car ride. I've thought about tying out in our front yard, and working on it out there. We have many walkers, skate boards, kids,bunnies, squirrels and other distractions, it's just they don't react at any time while at our house. I guess it would prove to me whether it's the tie out or the location.
MineAreWorkingline likes this.

Karen

Tessa~GSD
Della~GSD

post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecowboysgirl View Post
I have been hoping to get hubby to let me bring x pens to set up around our little roll out outdoor carpet thing that we put in front of the rv. We set it up at home as a test and it worked great but then every time we pack up he complains and doesn't want to bring the x pens. So I wind up tying them with training lines- the cotton ones, because its what I have. My old dog won't bother with anyone and the young one is pretty good on voice commands so I am banking on him never running and hitting the end of it full force because it probably wouldn't hold him.

Will still be trying for the x pens next year because our rv is so small the floorspace is just one skinny little hallway and the dogs really can't walk around or lay out (they can in the beds) and the young one gets a little cookoo during rv trips.
Dell broke the catch on a tie out once when a squirrel ran by. It was an Oh Crap moment. I've bought some really heavy duty latches and some heavy weight Para Cord and made adjustable size tie outs. We love taking them with us, and they have a great time.

Karen

Tessa~GSD
Della~GSD

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page