Potty signals - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

Potty signals

Archer has been home since Friday and is really doing great, my 2 year old daughter does make it difficult for him to be on his best behavior though lol. What we do now for potty is we play for a while, maybe ill sneak in a bit of basic training; sit, down and come. I will put him in his crate and let him relax for a bit and so my daughter can play with all of her little toys without him picking everything up causing me to constantly correct his behavior. I will leave him in his crate until he makes a fuss that he needs to go out, its a great system and prevents accidents from happening. But when he doesn't get his crate time its hard to tell when he needs to go out resulting in some accidents without any warning that he needs to go out except maybe some sniffing around. Do I just keep doing my crate and potty method or do I need to do something else so that he gives us more of an alert that he needs to go out?

Archer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 01:52 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHemi45 View Post
Archer has been home since Friday and is really doing great, my 2 year old daughter does make it difficult for him to be on his best behavior though lol. What we do now for potty is we play for a while, maybe ill sneak in a bit of basic training; sit, down and come. I will put him in his crate and let him relax for a bit and so my daughter can play with all of her little toys without him picking everything up causing me to constantly correct his behavior. I will leave him in his crate until he makes a fuss that he needs to go out, its a great system and prevents accidents from happening. But when he doesn't get his crate time its hard to tell when he needs to go out resulting in some accidents without any warning that he needs to go out except maybe some sniffing around. Do I just keep doing my crate and potty method or do I need to do something else so that he gives us more of an alert that he needs to go out?
Why don't you just take him out after every time you feed him.?
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 02:10 PM
Elite Member

After a while you will probably learn his potty schedule. Here's what I do with a young puppy.

Take him out first thing in the am, about 10-15 min after each meal, after naps, and after a lot of exercise/play time. You'll probably end up taking him out every 1-2 hours during the day. Supervise him constantly and crate him if you can't watch him.

It sounds like you're probably doing all or many of these things already.

As far as cues he needs to go out, look for sniffing, circling, whining, restlessness, or heading towards the door. You'll learn to recognize his signals the longer you've had him. And make sure you clean up any messes with an enzematic cleaner so he's not attracted back to the same spot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Bishop View Post
Why don't you just take him out after every time you feed him.?
He goes potty more times than we feed him and he usually doesn't need to right after we feed him.

Archer
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebrench View Post
After a while you will probably learn his potty schedule. Here's what I do with a young puppy.

Take him out first thing in the am, about 10-15 min after each meal, after naps, and after a lot of exercise/play time. You'll probably end up taking him out every 1-2 hours during the day. Supervise him constantly and crate him if you can't watch him.

It sounds like you're probably doing all or many of these things already.

As far as cues he needs to go out, look for sniffing, circling, whining, restlessness, or heading towards the door. You'll learn to recognize his signals the longer you've had him. And make sure you clean up any messes with an enzematic cleaner so he's not attracted back to the same spot.
This is pretty much exactly what we do now. Most of the time I can catch him if he sniffing around but some times there is no warning at all. I have definitely made good use of the enzyme eradicator. Thanks! He held it for about 6 hours last night which made me pretty happy lol.

Archer
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 02:41 PM
Elite Member

When you see him in the midst of a mistake, tell him "no" and take him outside to finish. I'm sure you're praising him when he goes outside. It sounds like you're doing the right things. It just takes a while before all the hard work pays off. He'll get there!
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebrench View Post
When you see him in the midst of a mistake, tell him "no" and take him outside to finish. I'm sure you're praising him when he goes outside. It sounds like you're doing the right things. It just takes a while before all the hard work pays off. He'll get there!
If I catch him, he will stop. He has done great with it so far. I guess I was just making sure there wasn't something else I should have been doing.

Archer
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 03:09 PM

We always hung a string of bells on the back door. Whenever we took them out, we would ring the bells... all of the pups picked up on that pretty quick. As they mature, the bells are put away.

Also when they would do their business, we also repeated "Hurry up" & then praised them upon completion. This becomes their routine (squatting on command) & is invaluable throughout their & our lives.
selzer and squerly like this.

Kiai o ka lewa
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by w_r_ranch View Post
We always hung a string of bells on the back door. Whenever we took them out, we would ring the bells... all of the pups picked up on that pretty quick. As they mature, the bells are put away.

Also when they would do their business, we also repeated "Hurry up" & then praised them upon completion. This becomes their routine (squatting on command) & is invaluable throughout their & our lives.
I would love to, but he doesn't have access to the potty door. We have a townhome and when you walk in the door you have to go up or down. We have a gate at the first floor landing since we have a 2 year old and a 13 stair staircase going to the 2nd floor. He will never be using the staircase to go upstairs and I am carrying down the 5 steps to the front door. I would love to put bells on the baby gate but my daughter would be ringing them all frickin day.

Archer
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 04:00 PM
Crowned Member

Take him out every fifteen minutes. As he gets older, he will be able to wait longer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page