I need help with this. - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

I need help with this.

So I am mostly outside with my dog but usually he's outside alone at night. We had him inside for 3 months and then he relized how to open the doors so he always came in the house instead of being in the house room. So we keep him outside and I really want him inside but whenever he comes in he wants to bite us and he wants to bite everything so what should we do ? He's 6 months old.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 09:51 AM

Crate him at night.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 10:06 AM
Deb
Knighted Member

First, decide who is in charge, you or the puppy. *G* Seriously, you need to take control and decide where the puppy will be. He's six months old and still teething. It sounds like you didn't train him when he was younger to not bite, so you need to start now with that. He may also think that the biting is playing with you and you haven't taught him that it's not all right to play that way. Personally, I would start him in obedience classes to help you train him and to give you someone there to help you with these kinds of issues. I would also have him in a crate in whatever room you want him in at night.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-25-2016, 03:26 PM
Banned

Sigh out of curiosity .. I went back to see those threads ... with only a few ... started not that hard.

Interesting I saw that your parents/guardians "advised" no training until the dog was 12 to 13 months old??? LOL ... "Good Luck" with that! That would be a "Green Dog" a dog with no formal obedience training ... don't want to "quash" his development as it were. That seems to be the way to go for "Serious Working Dogs" ... for a "family pet" however ... not so much.

Still "despite" that uh "advise" it seems that you went out and found "someone" that at least "labeled" themselves as a dog trainer??? Without casting aspersions ... I will say ... I am not impressed! Right "now" your actually "paying" someone that is "actively" help, to direct your seriously out of control dog on his way to the local "Rescue!"

I don't know ... maybe you have a really cool dog and there plan is to offer to "take him off your hands" when you get tired of having the crap bitten out of you??? "Apparently" ... your young so you don't pre assign motives to people?? But yeah I'm older and signical, so I do. But hey ... I don't know ... but I do know that whoever you are working with ... is "incompetent!"

It does not take "years" of experience to deal with "crap like this," but it does take some basics "tenants." One of them would ... that there will be "Consequences for a dog making poor choices." I don't console "ignoring" behaviours I "console" addressing them! If you do "that" dog ... there will be "consequences!" (I will help you "dog" to) figure it out and "Make Better Choices!!"

Ultimately you will need the whole "No Free roaming in the house" Place and Sit on the Dog" thing that is the "goal" if you want the dog to be indoors. But right now ... you have a couple of simple issues and you can't "apparently" use a leash with a proper conventional "tool" correctly "to stop this crap???"

No problem ... you have made the "first" and most important step in rectifying this situation ... "out think your dog!" So back to basics ... I think ... if your are "willing" you can turn the issues around in this "post" in 24 hours???

The proper "leash corrections" thing is gonna be a "issue" but technology is your friend. You may already have the tool you need for the jumping thing?? See here ... :

Pet Convincer

And the dog charging out out of the "Crate" and biting the crap out of you ... well the PC is the "Consequence" for that choice ... but back to basics ... if the dog wants to bolt?? Then you "slam the door closed in his face!" Repeat as necessary, when he actually "Sits" and Waits" first ... then he gets to come out and if he does try and bite you use the "PC!" He will ... quickly figure it out!

But ... as they say "Pictures" are worth a thousands word ... which I am want to do (a thousands words.) But ... instead I will post this clip.:

KISS ...

Last edited by Chip18; 12-25-2016 at 03:32 PM.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-25-2016, 03:38 PM
Crowned Member

24 hours?

If you need equipment to maintain control of your dog, understand you’re hanging on to your dog’s body because you’ve lost his mind!

Suzanne Clothier
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-25-2016, 04:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MineAreWorkingline View Post
24 hours?
LOL ... yesss ... you caught that huh???

Well most likely ... it should be up to the "OP" to question that number?? But according to "others" the "OP" ask questions and aren't to big on replying back??? So ... sigh "we" do what "we" do.

But 24 hours yes ... I make two base "assumptions." Not accounting for shipping or travel time to acquire a "PC" since they are a teen?? I "assume" they most likely already have a "Bicycle Air Pump??" Since they are a teen ... I "assume" they are off for the holidays, so ... they have time?? And it's been decades since I was a teen but when I was "nothing" ... was more important to me than my "Dog!!"

So yeah ... I made some base "reasonable" I belive assumptions?? This "issue" is contained no outside influences here ie, ... no other people ... not other dogs ... no outside influences as described. So to "me" it is a "I have a problem" with my dog" and I will get "this" done "now" thing!

Most likely ... if I were a "Pro" and had raised/trained thirty plus GSD and had over three decades of experiance with dogs?? I'd not make such statements?? So I can't match that! But "apparently" I'm ... pretty dang good!

Tired of being a freaking "Behaviourist" ... I had my shot at a "paws on the ground" cat v dog "situation" with a 75 lb ... if it moves fast ... "I'm on it dog of the street" "Pitty" rescue fresh of the street and into my home" and I will add that while kinda short but ... she was a "monster in stature???" Freaking fast and powerful ... are "understatements!!" I brought her home! And after work, picked her on may way to work, I put a leash on her and released the "Cats" ... lets "do this thing!" And it turned out ... she had a "Cat" issue!!! 24 hours later ... not so much. Not my call ... that was my observation from my most "skittish" cat ... the aptly named "Spooky!" Upon first arrival of this newly acquired "creature" ... she was "outa here!!"

24 hours later ... the "Pitty" ... laid down upon seeing the cats and the apt named "Spooky" was head butting her" I was stunned??? Yess ... a freaking "Crate" would have made life easier ... but I had none so "leash/tether it was! 24 hours later ... a much different dog!

"This" situation is much "different" as I view it ... no lives at stake here??? Time and a proper "Correction" can "fix" this relatively quickly ... I feel.

Slam the freaking "Crate" in the dogs face as many times as required! The dog"will" figure it out and once he does ... he will Sit and wait! PC ..."properly deployed" will take care of the other crap! One does not need vast amounts of experiance ... to deploy that tool."

So yes ... "quibble" over time lines if you must??? But as I am want to say ..."Show Me" and well ... yeah I did. :P
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-25-2016, 05:04 PM
Crowned Member

Any member can question a post.

I highly doubt any dog that has been allowed to behave badly long term can be permanently fixed within 24 hours.
lalabug likes this.

If you need equipment to maintain control of your dog, understand you’re hanging on to your dog’s body because you’ve lost his mind!

Suzanne Clothier
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-25-2016, 05:43 PM

Cured would be the ability to leave the dog alone in a room with the cats for several hours with no owner present.I believe you mean it's being successfully managed but not truly cured.It's not possible to unlearn and 100% extinguish a behavior.
MineAreWorkingline likes this.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-26-2016, 01:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MineAreWorkingline View Post
Any member can question a post.
I highly doubt any dog that has been allowed to behave badly long term can be permanently fixed within 24 hours.
Gezzz ... chill out. I was not questioning your "right" to ask questions of me?? I don't see it now ... but someone said "this" poster ... tends to do drive by's???

The dog is getting worse and worse, they are "apparently" young and surrounded with "crappy advise" and "poor trainers???" The "ignore the the behaviour" thing ... apparently has not worked out so well?? This dog is headed for "another home" if the "OP" can't get a grip on this dog's "Poor Choices." The "clock is ticking here!"

A "PC" is a viable substitute for "experience" for "leash corrections" that is pretty much the whole point of the "tool." And you don't need "years" of "experiance" to "slam a Crate door" in a dogs face???

All it takes is a "comment" to get this done! If the "OP" can accomplish this ... then they will "understand" that they "can" train this dog!

But hey ... I do like to keep it real for people! So yes ... I'm saying for this member and this dog ... with the "process" I outlined ... a hard core 24 hour commitment to get this done and "yes" 24 hours.

Two hour Crate time, door slamming in the dogs face as required, wait for calm, let the dog out ... go for a walk feed the dog in the crate, deploy the "PC" as required, for biting and jumping??? And out we go again every two to three hours! That's what you do for 24 hours! Getting this done is what they have to do.

Put in the time/work and work to sole "this issue!" For the unskilled ... yeah ... that's what it takes. For those of us that can "train a dog ..." get real ... the situation as outlined ... is a "five minute fix!!" You can't kid a kidder.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-26-2016, 02:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb View Post
First, decide who is in charge, you or the puppy. *G* Seriously, you need to take control and decide where the puppy will be. He's six months old and still teething. It sounds like you didn't train him when he was younger to not bite, so you need to start now with that. He may also think that the biting is playing with you and you haven't taught him that it's not all right to play that way. Personally, I would start him in obedience classes to help you train him and to give you someone there to help you with these kinds of issues. I would also have him in a crate in whatever room you want him in at night.
What about a working pup? Do you let them bite you or what? And do you correct them for jumping on you? I was watching some Michael Ellis videos and he doesn't correct for biting if he plans to do bite work. And I dont think he corrects for jumping, could be wrong about if ME said it or another trainer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page