How to keep my GSD from being agressive with our Wheaten Terrier - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

Question How to keep my GSD from being agressive with our Wheaten Terrier

Gunner(GSD) is 1.5 years. Our Wheaten is 8 years old. When we first got Gunner about 6 weeks ago he was not agreesive with our Wheaten. Now he wants to be agreessive alot and sometimes gets into almost fights. What can we do to deter this? Have had him on Taste of the Wild and read a review somewhere that it caused their dog to get agressive and have Diarhea sometimes(Gunner does too), not sure if that could be part of the problem. Any help woud be appreciated. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 01:57 PM
Crowned Member

Food doesn't cause aggression. Never heard that before. If your Wheaten is a male (let us know) you may have a problem on your hands with same sex aggression. I know Wheatens are not the easiest to live with other dogs. You need to give us more information about their living situation, health of the Wheaten, training levels and temperament, your schedule and management etc. so we can give you better advice.
Deb likes this.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 02:02 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
Food doesn't cause aggression. Never heard that before. If your Wheaten is a male (let us know) you may have a problem on your hands with same sex aggression. I know Wheatens are not the easiest to live with other dogs. You need to give us more information about their living situation, health of the Wheaten, training levels and temperament, your schedule and management etc. so we can give you better advice.
^^^YES^^^

Until this is sorted out, please, "Crate & Rotate" these dogs so that nothing serious will happen!

BTW.....WELCOME Gunners!
Moms
Deb likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 02:06 PM
Elite Member

i don't know your dog history if you ever had 2 dogs before? to an untrained eye play can look and sound like fighting aggression. if you're sure they're not getting along yes crate and rotate. or only together under extreme supervision. even both leashed with 2 people if need be.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

Reply to first answer.

Quote:
Yes Einstein is a Male Wheaten. He has never been agressive. I am home a lot now with the dogs as I had back surgery. I go out and throw ball with Gunner and he enjoys that. He was trained some before we got him so he walks with us pretty well now and sits and lays down. We are working on getting him to stay and it is going pretty well. They play alot just growling and not really biting each other but showing their teeth and grabbing at each other. The fights have been few but they really go afte each other then. I am afraid our Wheaten will be hurt. Any advice is helpful .
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

3 Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarfish View Post
i don't know your dog history if you ever had 2 dogs before? to an untrained eye play can look and sound like fighting aggression. if you're sure they're not getting along yes crate and rotate. or only together under extreme supervision. even both leashed with 2 people if need be.
We had three dogs before a GSD, Cairn Terrier , and Westie all were males and they never fought.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 02:38 PM
Deb
Knighted Member

Was your Wheaten socialized with other dogs when he was young? Wheaten's can be same sex aggressive. As Wolfy Dog said, we'd need to know more about both dogs. If you just had back surgery, you can't be trying to break up a fight. I agree with crate and rotate each dog separately. Playing as you seem to have seen can escalate quickly with two males of these breeds.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 02:39 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunners View Post
Yes Einstein is a Male Wheaten. He has never been agressive. I am home a lot now with the dogs as I had back surgery. I go out and throw ball with Gunner and he enjoys that. He was trained some before we got him so he walks with us pretty well now and sits and lays down. We are working on getting him to stay and it is going pretty well. They play alot just growling and not really biting each other but showing their teeth and grabbing at each other. The fights have been few but they really go afte each other then. I am afraid our Wheaten will be hurt. Any advice is helpful .
I am worried for both of them. You are heading for trouble if you don't crate and rotate. I would give the GSD back. You don't want to mess with a Wheaten. When I lived in Europe,many years ago, a Fox terrier bit off the leg of a GSD at a show (I am not making this up).
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your advice and follow up

Quote:
I am worried for both of them. You are heading for trouble if you don't crate and rotate. I would give the GSD back. You don't want to mess with a Wheaten. When I lived in Europe,many years ago, a Fox terrier bit off the leg of a GSD at a show (I am not making this up).
Thanks, One thing They are fine when they play outside. It's just inside when they have their toys out mainly. If it makes a difference, Gunner has not been neutered yet. Your advice on giving him back may be good as we don't want any harm to come to either of them.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 02:57 PM
Deb
Knighted Member

Gunner(GSD) is 1.5 years. Our Wheaten is 8 years old. When we first got Gunner about 6 weeks ago he was not agreesive with our Wheaten. Now he wants to be agreessive alot and sometimes gets into almost fights.

Your German Shepherd has just gone through his honeymoon period. You're going to start seeing his real personality come out. He is getting comfortable in your house. And now the two dogs are deciding the pack order. Both breeds are known to have problems with same sex aggression. I worry with these two and you just having back surgery. You could get seriously hurt if you try to break up a fight between them. It will take very careful management for these two dogs to live in the same house peacefully. You might want to consider having someone, a trainer, a behaviorist, to come in to observe them and help you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page