Omg please stop barking!!!!!! - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

Omg please stop barking!!!!!!

Oh my goodness, Bella is 4 months old. I taught her to "speak" at 8 weeks old for a treat. It was part of our repertoire of commands she learned as a small pup. Sit, down, shake, high-five, speak, kiss, come, etc. Now she barks excessively at EVERYTHING, EVERYONE, EVERY MINUTE OF THE DAY. The other dogs are going crazy. If she wants to play and the other dogs are sleeping she will stand over them barking NONSTOP for long periods of time until she gets in trouble. If she wants anything, she barks, barks, barks, barks. I cannot make it stop. I have tried everything "no speak", "quiet", "no" while placing my hand on her snout and even using hand signals with my finger to my lips while saying all of the above words. How do I stop this? She has no shame either, 3am and everyone is asleep, no problem bark bark bark bark bark bark bark bark bark. My ears are still ringing. How do I teach her to be quiet on command? I don't want to stop her barking all together because there are appropriate times to bark, but this is insanity. This photo just about sums it up!
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016, 12:47 PM
Knighted Member

LOL.! Try teaching her quiet. It should go about the same as speak. Just opposite. When she's barking tell her quiet, when she stops say good girl and treat, click, whatever your method. Eventually she will get it. Also probably don't wanna give in to her barking. Matter of fact when she starts in crate her. She'll start to associate barking with not getting what she wants.
If all else fails but a bark collar.
You probably had no idea how well you could teach her to speak.
dogma13 likes this.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016, 01:35 PM
Master Member

I'm sorry, but that picture is hilarious!

Suki barks at animal sounds she hears, so when we sleep with the window open she will wake us up. At about 4 a.m. this morning we had coyotes barking in the field behind the house, and Suki would not stop barking, along with her grumble of discontent.

Suki (Bella vom Wofenhaus, born May 31, 2008)
Diva (Aphrodite de Domus Didacus, born December 4, 2009)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016, 02:47 PM

This picture is the best!!! You have some gorgeous pups there!!! I need to teach my 4 1/2 to be quiet too!!!
JenTheGSMama likes this.

Denise

Koda - GSD - 7/13/2016
Kinsley - GSD - 02/14/2012
Kane - GSD - at the Bridge
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016, 07:32 PM
Crowned Member

Yikes! The picture is funny but the barking isn't. Hate to see you put a bark collar on such a young pup.

What is her daily schedule like? Is she crate trained?

I used a bark collar to shut up our nuisace barking Pomeranian but she was like 7 years old....

My pup went through a phase where he was trying to be super watch dog and barking every time he heard a bug land on a window screen. I would give him one warning then he went in his crate until he settled and then got back out. He got the message. Now he only barks if there is really something to bark at. It sucks having to drop whatever you are doing and go put the dog away because they are being silly but I nipped it in the bud and I am totally happy with his barking now. He always lets me know when someone is in the driveway, stops when I ask, ect.
Deb likes this.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suki's Mom View Post
I'm sorry, but that picture is hilarious!

Suki barks at animal sounds she hears, so when we sleep with the window open she will wake us up. At about 4 a.m. this morning we had coyotes barking in the field behind the house, and Suki would not stop barking, along with her grumble of discontent.
That is an appropriate time to bark! Coytotes in the yard, yes bark! Any animals in the yard, yes bark. A house full of sleeping dogs and humans and the sound of air whizzing by, not a good time to bark!! LOL These dogs!
Suki's Mom likes this.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016, 08:00 PM
Elite Member

Sorry, I am no help, but that picture is so cute! Pretty pups!
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016, 08:38 PM
Banned

Ugh ... this sounds like a mayor "PIA!!!" I have been on here for only a few years and on the "Boxerforum" for the same time and I have not seen this before??? Most likely the basis's for it is "self rewarding behavior??" You did something that makes this particular puppy think that constant barking ... is a great idea!

The first and obvious answer is a proper "Bark Collar" but ... I don't like that as a solution as it's kinda overkill! So eliminating that as a solution ... that leaves "correcting the dog for inappropriate barking. That would mean your going to have to "Correct the puppy" for inappropriate "barking!"

So ... "Flank the dog" address the issue "indirectly." Round one "Crate train the puppy" if she barks in the Crate ... "Correct her hard!" Tie a freaking rope around the Crate and if she continues to bark in the "Crate." say "NO" or "Quite!" if she continues "yank the rope!" And repeat as necessary! She will quickly figure it out! Clearly tie a "Consequence" to her behavior and the "barking!"

Keep a drag leash on her in the house. If she barks grab the drag leash and correct her. Carrying the "dog on a leash concept" further ... keep a leash on her and train "The Place Command and Do Sit on the Dog/Puppy" if she barks ... correct her!

For "Place and Sit on the Dog" see here.:
Fearful, Anxious or Flat Crazy "The Place CommanD - Boxer Forum : Boxer Breed Dog Forums

I will say that typically with "Sit on the Dog" you don't really want to have too say or do anything with the dog/puppy. They kinda "figure it out." With "Place" leash corrections ... slight tug sideways ... would be acceptable to "quell barking in Place." If you Crate train and teach her to be calm in the "Crate" first then "No or Quite" will mean something.

Is she "leash" trained?? Does this "crap" happen on walks???
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016, 08:57 PM
Banned

Gonna add aside from the "Crate" tugs/yanks, its a puppy so don't go crazy on leash pops as it were! Slight sideways just enough to notice.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016, 10:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip18 View Post
Ugh ... this sounds like a mayor "PIA!!!" I have been on here for only a few years and on the "Boxerforum" for the same time and I have not seen this before??? Most likely the basis's for it is "self rewarding behavior??" You did something that makes this particular puppy think that constant barking ... is a great idea!

The first and obvious answer is a proper "Bark Collar" but ... I don't like that as a solution as it's kinda overkill! So eliminating that as a solution ... that leaves "correcting the dog for inappropriate barking. That would mean your going to have to "Correct the puppy" for inappropriate "barking!"

So ... "Flank the dog" address the issue "indirectly." Round one "Crate train the puppy" if she barks in the Crate ... "Correct her hard!" Tie a freaking rope around the Crate and if she continues to bark in the "Crate." say "NO" or "Quite!" if she continues "yank the rope!" And repeat as necessary! She will quickly figure it out! Clearly tie a "Consequence" to her behavior and the "barking!"

Keep a drag leash on her in the house. If she barks grab the drag leash and correct her. Carrying the "dog on a leash concept" further ... keep a leash on her and train "The Place Command and Do Sit on the Dog/Puppy" if she barks ... correct her!

For "Place and Sit on the Dog" see here.:
Fearful, Anxious or Flat Crazy "The Place CommanD - Boxer Forum : Boxer Breed Dog Forums

I will say that typically with "Sit on the Dog" you don't really want to have too say or do anything with the dog/puppy. They kinda "figure it out." With "Place" leash corrections ... slight tug sideways ... would be acceptable to "quell barking in Place." If you Crate train and teach her to be calm in the "Crate" first then "No or Quite" will mean something.

Is she "leash" trained?? Does this "crap" happen on walks???
I refuse to use the bark collars or any other kind of device like it. I just don't believe in that. She doesn't use the crate either, there's just no need in our home. I introduced it to her when she was 8, 9 and 10 weeks old but she absolutely hated it. My other dogs have used it during puppyhood when I was at work but I am a "Stay at home dog mom" now so she's with me all day/night. In fact, she's very attached to me and when I leave the room she must follow me immediately. As of lately, she's become a little more independent. I have 2 other dogs in the house, a 14 year old Vizsla named Angel and a 5 year old Husky named Koda. When I brought her home, Angel is too old to play so she just ran around barking at her, sort of setting her boundaries and putting some fear in her to stop this nippy and crazy puppy from chewing all over her. Angel doesn't mess around. She'll bite ya! She's old and cranky and doesn't put up with anything. Koda will let her bite all over him and plays hard with her. She gets most "Barky" as we call it, when she wants Koda to get up to play with her and he's just laying there. She will literally stand over him and bark for an hour. When she was little, Angel would bark at her to scare her off and she would run in fear. Now that she's grown up a bit, she's testing the waters more with her and barking excessively back at her. Kind of like nanny-nanny-boo-boo while running like a maniac through the house. Honestly, I think Angel may have starting this barking thing with her now that I think about it. I wonder if she's trying to be dominant over the other dogs by barking. To make it worse, the Husky doesn't bark - HE HOWLS AND SCREAMS so when they all get going it sounds like someone is getting murdered in my house.

Since I brought her home I have been like a helicopter mom, following her around EVERYWHERE she went - correcting her and teaching her the ways of the world. What is acceptable and unacceptable. A little pinch on the scruff behind the back of the ear, like her real mother would do, has been our official "no" cue. She will stop barking when I come up to her and physically give her a correction. But the second I walk away, she's back at it. If I return to her she will immediately stop with the pinch, so I think she's understanding what I want her to do. At first, she would bark for a few seconds before I made the correction and I could tell she was confused - she didn't know if I wanted her to stop trying to play with Koda or stop barking. I think she understands, I think she is just being defiant.

Now I am trying to get her to learn to stop barking by verbal command only. When I give the pinch on the scruff, I say the word "Quiet" and I try to redirect her to something she is allowed to do. I have always used the "correct and redirect" method. When punishment comes into play, I admit I am a bit of a softy, but with my German Shepherds the mere fact that they didn't make me happy has been punishment enough. All of my dogs have had a conscious so that's good. I heard someone say that once they don't listen after the pinch and the verbal command, to try putting her outside. The separation from me and the situation might help? But will that get the point across? I don't want to associate outside with bad behavior since we just finished housebreaking and she's praised for going outside. Should I put her in a bedroom by herself? What other options do we have for "time out"?

Last edited by JenTheGSMama; 11-17-2016 at 10:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page