Adopted GSD aggression issues - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 07:29 AM Thread Starter

Exclamation Adopted GSD aggression issues

Hi,

Me and my husband adopted a gsd male who is around 13 months old.

He is excellent to us.He loves us so much that he cries even if we go out to a nearby shop

But when it comes to other dogs he has a biting instinct. He charges at every dog he sees or every stranger he sees. We tried introducing him to our golden retriever who is 6 months old. He played for a little while and then without any warning tried to attack him

Like I said earlier, he has been adopted and has had no training whatsoever. He has learnt the commands sit and down and has learnt to walk with a leash on.

He is excellent to us pet parents but not all friendly with other dogs or strangers..We love him a lot and want to really help him

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 10:11 AM
Crowned Member

How long have you had him? Both of the dogs are male?

Jan
Shelby 9-2-14
Natty Boh 6-27-12
Annie 1998 - 8-2-12 RIP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 10:23 AM
Crowned Member

First you need to know that their play style is completely different. Then you need to find out if it's true aggression. My older male GSD will try to play rough with my older golden and a simple leave it works.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 11:28 AM

Introducing a new dog is tricky. Even trickier when they are older.

THIS IS WHAT I DO NOT SAYING IT WORKS FOR EVERYONE OR SITUATION AND I AM NO EXPERT

First it is important to not give either dog any extra attention no matter how small (JEALOUSY) I have found what I usually do is have both on leashes the first time and let them sniff noses if that seems to go okay and no "I am going to kill you attitude" I would let them lose but it is important that kids are not around they don't understand about not showing partiality and you don't want a kid getting hurt either. Plus I think kids give off their own sacredness which the dogs might pick up on that something could be wrong too.

After I feel "safe about letting them go" my husband and I let them go (again you have to have someone with you that understands that you don't freak out at some tiny snap and best if before you do it you both agree one of you is the one to say separate them, I try not to say anything at all unless it comes to that the giving neither dog special attention idea). Something to remember is sometimes they are figuring out who is going to be "top dog", sometimes they are just telling the other dog they don't like what they are doing. OF course if you are dealing with 2 largely different sized dogs you have to be even more careful.

It is really hard to describe and takes a lot of gut instinct of knowing your 1st dog and time to see if they are just having a little snap or if you have 2 dogs that will not get along. Are they both male dogs? I heard that can be an issue sometimes as well.

Is the german shepherd trained well that if you said no to a certain behavior he will stop in midstream? There is so much more to this question and obviously you don't want any dog trying to go at other dogs unprovoked. I think I would diffidently be walking him with treats in hand teaching him to stay with you when others pass by and not be aggressive towards someone going by. BUT YOU HAVE TO BE ABLE TO KEEP YOUR DOG FROM GETTING TO THEM, YOU KNOW BE ABLE TO HOLD THE LEASH AND KEEP THEM CLOSE OR PULL THEM AWAY FROM THE SITUATION. If you cannot do that I would try to walk on a leash in your own backyard for a while showing him what is acceptable and slowly move forward.

Sound like a lot of leash training in the backyard alone with him would be good to get some basics down. He has to learn you are the pack leader and simple things like do not let him go into the house until you cross the threshold of the doorway first really dose help instill that some. Leader of the pack goes first kind of deal. Yes it might take you 5 minutes to just go through a door but take him right back outside and keep going till he sees you go first each and every time.

The quick correct and release method on leash training works real well. You never let go of the leash just every time they do something wrong a quick correct bringing the leash close to you and back to a relaxed hanging postion. Be careful to not hurt your dog either. You tube a few videos to see what you think about that.

Local libraries are great you can borrow DVDs free many you can request from another library they will bring it to yours and let you know when it is ready. Some I don't like. You tube would be the fastest to find some information and watch a few so you don't end up going with something you disagree with or realize later is just not the right way to correct.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 07:51 AM Thread Starter

Hi, thanks a lot for the reply. Yes, both my dogs are male. Our golden is with us since he was 8 weeks old and gsd from the past 2 months.

My gsd is aggressive wit any dog. He likes our golden pup, licks him, and smells him a lot. Out of nowhere he snaps suddenly. He tries to bite.

My golden is very submissive, the moment he tries to play , the gsd get angry.

Gsd also is not attracted to any food or treat. He eats only when he is hungry. Food is not a way that I can use to train him..

Wonder what must i do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page