Tips for teaching my dog to track scents? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By Deb
  • 1 Post By cloudpump
  • 2 Post By Hineni7

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-03-2016, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Tips for teaching my dog to track scents?

Hello there, everyone!

Vesper is about 18 months old, and I thought it would be fun for us to learn how to track scents! I have never done it before, and neither has Vesper. I have been reading about tracking online, but was wondering if anyone who had done it before could give me some advice? A good place to start? We went out and got a 26 ft lead tonight, and I would really like to start working on it tomorrow. Let me know what advice you guys have!

Lexi

Picture of Vesper for attention.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vesper.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	141.8 KB
ID:	387345  

~Vesper~March 28, 2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-04-2016, 11:21 AM
Deb
Knighted Member

Beautiful dog! I can't help you with the scenting. I plan to try it with Enya when she gets older and bought some books, but I also plan to ask here when we get to that stage.
lexiz likes this.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-04-2016, 12:01 PM
Elite Member

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 12:03 PM
Elite Member

Are looking to track for IPO, AKC and just for sport, OR, are you looking for trailing which is more 'real world' type scent work...?

Sport is more obedience and crushed vegetation = tracking

Trailing is more scent discrimination (following a given odor/person) and covers all surfaces, allows for scent movement etc

Both are great fun and excellent exercise for you and the dog. The difference being in what you focus on and how adherent you become to following footsteps vs where scent actually is...
Jax08 and ausdland like this.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-15-2016, 09:41 PM

I would without him seeing you doing it, drag something you want him to track- on the ground.What do you want him to track? Then show him either the smell on your hands or the item.Show the start of the trail to find item and leave item for him to find.Keep saying "find" or "find item name.Keep encouraging him.When he finds it -praise him.I bet he will love it!Yeah , a new job!!!!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 08:44 PM
Elite Member

This Thanksgiving we tried 10 month old Inga on tracking. It was great fun. Knowing nothing about it, I tied a turkey leg bone on a sting and dragged it all over this hill. At times I stopped and rolled the bone around with my shoe. Inga went right to it,even casting back and forth when ever she lost the scent. There was a piece of turkey at the end of the trail, on a stump. The second track she followed again with sucess. The third track, she went right to the turkey because she had seen me lay the track. You have to not let these dogs see where you go. They are smart!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page