How do i teach my dog to not try and bite that cats? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By islanddog

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-03-2016, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

How do i teach my dog to not try and bite that cats?

Hi everyone, im having trouble getting my dog to be nice to the cats and ive been trying since he was puppy. I feel like we are doing something wrong so id like some help.

when we first got the cat we had 2 dogs. The older one at the time always tried nibbling on her but she was fine and the other dog just loved her. the one dog had passed away and we ended up getting another cat. Both cats and dog are completely fine with eachother. years went by and i got a puppy. i brought him home and of course the cats hid right away. as time passed we slowly introduced them by bringing them in the same room and having my dog on the leash. He was obviously super curious but the cats wanted nothing to do with him. we kept trying and even had someone hold the cat as he sniffed her but he always tried to nibble on her. We've kept trying various things and nothing is working.

My dog is now over 2 years old and the one cat is so terrified of him he hides all day and wont even use the litter box till its bedtime. the other cat is Okay with my dog but has to run away because Copper just wants to chew on her. However it seems that hes not wanting to harm her and i think she knows that because when they get face to face she just taps him and doesnt actually claw him or anything. Another problem is that my dog has some issues with Smaller dogs and plays very rough (he plays with a little Border terrier since both were puppies and they mouth eachother all the time) so im assuming hes doing this to the cats because of how he is with smaller dogs..

Can this be fixed or is it that my dog will never like cats?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-03-2016, 06:08 PM

I think most people will tell you to make your dog go into a down anytime the cats are around. My big boy, who is 2 1/2, is not cat safe. We had a cat when he was a pup. The cat tried one swat and our pup went into "so you want a piece of me" mode. He was a big boy from a litter of only 4, so he knew how to play rough. Now he thinks all cats should be under a bed. We don't let him play with small dogs, either. I just don't want them to get hurt, even if it is only in play.
This cat we had was not afraid of dogs. In fact our previous dog was her buddy, her backup in times of trouble and a playmate. We have since moved her to our son's house and she is getting along with their dog.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-03-2016, 06:32 PM

Check out "the kitty issue" thread. My long answer is there.
Poor kitties--yes, it can be fixed. Teach him not to chase cats, ever.
Re: the nibbling, is it grooming (flea biting, scratch an itch) behaviour? That's social. Not something I worry about, but terrified cats usually have a good reason to feel that way.
Mine are lounging on my lap.

SONIC--Dominican Street Collie aka 100% Unknown Fibers
All of my other dogs were GSD's, sadly missed, moving forward

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-03-2016, 07:22 PM

Will add, give your cats a safe space--no dogs allowed.
Should include food, water, litter box, a window, sunlight, warm soft place to curl up, play time/toys, and human company/you. And zero dogs. Should help your cat feel better right away.
My no dog zone is the master bedroom - aka Cat Land.
car2ner likes this.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-03-2016, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

Well he started off nibbling almost like taste testing because if I let him continue his whole mouth would be around her body. He plays like that with smaller dogs too and basically any small dog other then the in laws border terrier he cannot be trusted. I know he's bad with small dogs but he plays fine with the terrier and is submissive to the little thing too which is odd. The dogs and cats are separated by gates as we have an older 11yr old dog who is very food aggressive and has attacked my dog before.

I do try and get copper in a down position and I tell him no every time so here's to hoping in time he'll be better.

I'll most definitely check out that thread thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-04-2016, 10:47 AM

Train for zero contact, zero any behaviour (that is directed towards the cat) that bothers, disturbs, upsets the cat.

It will take awhile (if ever) for the cat to get over the fear but should really help eventually. 2 of mine where adopted from a home with a cat-chasing dog. They are still fearful of mine when he gets excited (greeting me, going for a walk), but mostly lead a relaxed life in the presence of my energetic but "non-cat-harassing" dog.

It's a matter of training--crystal clear rules, and management--separation, safe places where dogs, humans and cats can take a break from the conflict.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page