Help with obsessive jumping - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 5Likes
  • 2 Post By dogma13
  • 1 Post By randyhernz
  • 2 Post By dogma13

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-02-2016, 12:58 AM Thread Starter

Help with obsessive jumping

Hello, I just recently adopted a GSD, ~2yr spayed about 2 months ago. She has a huge issue of jumping on me and my housemate. She will get excited when I let her out of her crate, bring her to the door to go outside, have a toy she wants, tell her to do something, when I sit down...basically she is jumping on me almost all the time. she gets about 2 hours of exercise each day. I have tried a lot to get her to stop jumping: I tried ignoring her but this does not discourage her and she will just claw up my back. I have tried stepping into her but this just excites her more. The trainer I hired recommended I get her into a sit but she will either not listen, or sit and then jump on me a second later when I release her. There have been times when she has run at me and jumped on me, sending me backwards. I am the one doing all of the training/exercise and spending the majority of time with the dog, but yet the dog jumps on me more often and with more intensity than my housemate. I'm at a loss but this needs to have stopped yesterday. Has anyone had this problem before? How can I get her to stop seeing me as a tree to climb? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-02-2016, 01:27 PM

Many people have had this problem with a happy excited dog.Put a short drag leash on her collar with no loop.Firmly correct her with a leash pop,then give her something else to do such as sit,go find your ball,anything.Be consistent and firm enough so she clearly understands no jumping is allowed ever.Since she has been practicing this behavior for quite awhile it won't disappear overnight.Hang tuff!

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-03-2016, 12:04 PM

The only way to truly stop jumping (or any unwanted behavior) is to make the act of that behavior uncomfortable. Don't make it any harder than it has to be to fix this behavior. What Dogma suggested will work. Say No, Leash pop that gets the point across. Common sense stuff
dogma13 likes this.

Sage - Sable GSD - DOB: 8/20/15
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-03-2016, 10:51 PM
Crowned Member

Though turning my back did work with my Sting, it did take time and I had to be consistent. And he did jump on my back also. There is a suggestion that I read in an older thread, where the poster said to just step into the area the dog has vacated. So when the dog jumps, step forward, the dog jumps again, again calmly step forward - don't say or doing anything else.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Royal K9s Baron Sting DB 7/9/2017

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sting Chance von Gaard 2006-2017
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-04-2016, 07:45 AM
Crowned Member

My experience is that forcefully walking into a jumping dog, with enough energy to knock them at least a little off balance, is the most effective thing a person can do if there is no gear on the dog at that moment.

Be careful of what floor surface you are on...this maneuver is better for carpet or grass so if the dog does fall a little they aren't hurt, and the traction will make it possible for them to do some sort of save to avoid actually falling but the feeling of possibly going to fall is very unpleasant for most dogs.

The catches are: everyone has to do it or someone has to have a leash and correct the dog for jumping on other ppl, it probably isnt the safest method for your dog but you can experiment with the amount of force you put into it so that you aren't over doing it.

In the old days horse trainers said when a baby foal reared up at you you had to knock him over backwards and scare him...when he was still little enough to fall without hurting himself, and he would never rear as an adult....
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-04-2016, 08:37 AM

Walking into the dog works on many dogs.Some dogs think it's a new game and get even more excited.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-04-2016, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the advise!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page