help with retrieving fetch - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By Castlemaid
  • 1 Post By Cassidy's Mom

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-09-2016, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

help with retrieving fetch

Right now my dog is good at chasing the ball and retrieving it, but when she returns she stops maybe 3 arm lengths from me to my left or right.

She also is hesitant in giving up the ball. I think she doesn't want to give up her reward.

She not very treat driven so I cant lure her with some food. I try waving another ball in her face but that doesn't work.

Any ideas?

Kona |Long Hair GSD | 55 lbs | 3 years old |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-09-2016, 06:20 PM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Teach her to take the ball, hold it, and drop it in your hand as an obedience exercise, apart from fetching. Sit on the ground or a chair, so you are not towering over/dominating her. Use the ball and get her to take it, hold it, and drop it in your hand on command. Do this indoors, or some different spot away from where you usually play fetch. Once she picks up toys, holds them, and drops them into you hand on command, put the ball a few steps away, so she has to walk to the ball, pick it up, and bring it to your hand. Then a few more steps, etc. Pretty soon you'll be ready to move outside and really build distance.

A lot of dogs won't come in close out of respect of your personal space, so coming in close to you when you call her in is also a trained behaviour.
gsdluvr and zetti like this.

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-09-2016, 09:56 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castlemaid View Post
Teach her to take the ball, hold it, and drop it in your hand as an obedience exercise, apart from fetching. Sit on the ground or a chair, so you are not towering over/dominating her. Use the ball and get her to take it, hold it, and drop it in your hand on command. Do this indoors, or some different spot away from where you usually play fetch. Once she picks up toys, holds them, and drops them into you hand on command, put the ball a few steps away, so she has to walk to the ball, pick it up, and bring it to your hand. Then a few more steps, etc. Pretty soon you'll be ready to move outside and really build distance.
This! It's called "backchaining" - you start by training the end of the behavior, and work your way back towards the beginning. Not only is it easier for the dog to grasp the behavior you expect than throwing the ball and trying to get her to bring it to you and then give it up, backchaining also tends to strengthen the end of the behavior, which in this case is exactly what you want.

One minor difference I'd suggest over what Castlemaid describes is once she'll take the ball and drop it into your hand, instead of putting it on the ground you can hand it to her and then back quickly away a step or two and encourage her to bring it and drop it in your hand. Increase the distance she has to bring it, and at that point I'd try either throwing or rolling it a short distance away and then backing up.
gsdluvr likes this.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-12-2016, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

update

Thanks for the help. Things are improving. I practiced "drop" with her.

But one thing I noticed that helped me improve the retrieve was not grabbing the ball from her but letting her drop it herself either by luring with a treat, waving another ball in her face, or wait it out.

I noticed that after I grabbed the ball from her mouth she would be hesitant in coming back to me on the next throw. Maybe she nervous about me taking her "prize".

After implementing your advice and what I discovered, the fetch game has been pretty consistent.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-13-2016, 01:27 AM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Good to hear! Keep up the the good work!

Lucia

2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page