Help with Forced Hold - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-16-2016, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

Help with Forced Hold

Hello,

Seeking advice to progress the forced hold command. I am using a PVC pipe to start the training.

My dog has really picked up on biting the PVC pipe. As soon as he bites it, he looks for the reward and drops it. He has no problem biting it, he just immediately drops it and looks for the reward.

Any tips on increasing the duration of the hold. Thanks in advance.

Josh Taylor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-16-2016, 10:08 PM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

I gently hold the muzzle shut for a second or two to start, then slowly increase time.

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-16-2016, 11:21 PM
Crowned Member

I'd change a couple of things first, before you worry about duration. I'd put it in his mouth, not let him take it and then out him. Its all about doing what you say. If he drops it, you would correct him when its out of his mouth, put it back in and calmly praise.
Jax08 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 11:30 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice. We had a mini-session this morning outside. Got some work to do. He was more interested in playing than training. Going to start in the house this time with no distractions.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 12:52 PM

First off how old is your dog?
If he is in that 5 to 7 month old range he may still have a sore mouth from teething and you may need to hold off a bit more.

PVC is hard for some dogs to hold and will make the process of teaching hold much a much harder process. My suggestion would be to use a paint roller to start with. Not sure why but for some reason a lot of dogs just like to carry them and it helps in teaching a new concept when it's something they enjoy doing. As a gun dog trainer a solid hold and delivery to hand is pivotal in my training. If you have a dog that takes the object willingly then I'm not one to muddy the waters trying to place the object myself unless I'm correcting the hold and its position. I'll post a link to a little fun hold session with a Cocker Spaniel that I did. It may help. Also placing the dog on a elevated surface always seems to help with focus.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 01:28 PM
Crowned Member

If your looking to do an IPO style retrieve, its a little different because of what is judged. As much as possible you want the grip on a hard object maintained. The idea of the pvc or wood isn't to let them hold something they like. Its to show them you will hold something you don't like. When you add all the control and remember where the retrieves are in a routine, even in motivational retrieves, the hold has to be mandatory. He needs to know all through the 3 retrieves to hold something that's not comfortable.

Some dogs end up liking the dumbell as much as any other toy, but hold is taught differently for this then you would do it with a hunt style retrieve and softer mouthed dogs.
gsdluvr likes this.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Strom View Post
If your looking to do an IPO style retrieve, its a little different because of what is judged. As much as possible you want the grip on a hard object maintained. The idea of the pvc or wood isn't to let them hold something they like. Its to show them you will hold something you don't like. When you add all the control and remember where the retrieves are in a routine, even in motivational retrieves, the hold has to be mandatory. He needs to know all through the 3 retrieves to hold something that's not comfortable.

Some dogs end up liking the dumbell as much as any other toy, but hold is taught differently for this then you would do it with a hunt style retrieve and softer mouthed dogs.

I think you may have missed my point.
The op is trying to teach his dog hold. I understand what will be used in testing will be different, but right now he is teaching a concept not training a discipline. Once hold is established training with PVC will become much easier.

Trial and test dogs in the hunt world are very much judged on hold and delivery as well as carry. No dog likes to carry a rank test bird that's blowing out feathers but hold, delivery and carry must all be correct none the less.

If the PVC is an added distraction from learning the concept remove it and come back to it once the concept is established.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all of the advice. Dog is almost 2 years. I am looking for IPO style, but not planning on competing with this dog. Maybe my next dog(my first GSD).
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

Awesome video
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 09:27 PM
Crowned Member

But its not just a concept though Clay. It is a discipline. The object matters. Its not the same.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page