5Likes
  • 1 Post By Mary Beth
  • 2 Post By Jupiter_0203
  • 1 Post By Mary Beth
  • 1 Post By Mijas Father

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

Teaching new pup to sleep in her crate

Hey everyone! I've had Mija for almost a week now and had a few questions. She is being crate trained and I'm having trouble getting her to sleep in her crate. Instead she sleeps in her dog bed on the other side of the room. Should I just remove her pet bed completely? Or maybe shut the door when she goes into the crate? She has no problem going into her crate while she's eating etc but when she decides to take a nap it's normally in the pet bed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 10:34 PM
Crowned Member

If there has been no problems with accidents, I would leave her bed where it is. She still can learn to be in her crate for short periods working up to an hour with the door closed, but I would put a nice soft crate pad in there, with a toy and a puppy kong or a treat. Tire her out first with a playtime and walk and time to potty, put her in her crate - close the door, and leave the room, she may whine, but ignore that, if you wait her out, she will quiet and take a nap. Be sure to come back and open the crate door only when she is quiet. Then take her outside to potty. It could also be that she likes to stretch out when she sleeps and the crate is too small. A larger crate with her bed inside it, if it will fit, or a nice soft crate pad, may entice her to sleep in there.
Jupiter_0203 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Royal K9s Baron Sting DB 7/9/2017

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sting Chance von Gaard 2006-2017
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 08:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Beth View Post
If there has been no problems with accidents, I would leave her bed where it is. She still can learn to be in her crate for short periods working up to an hour with the door closed, but I would put a nice soft crate pad in there, with a toy and a puppy kong or a treat. Tire her out first with a playtime and walk and time to potty, put her in her crate - close the door, and leave the room, she may whine, but ignore that, if you wait her out, she will quiet and take a nap. Be sure to come back and open the crate door only when she is quiet. Then take her outside to potty. It could also be that she likes to stretch out when she sleeps and the crate is too small. A larger crate with her bed inside it, if it will fit, or a nice soft crate pad, may entice her to sleep in there.

Yeah she won't go potty in the room where her crate is (computer room), or at least hasn't yet. I bought her a 42" crate and have it sectioned off to a smaller size. She has enough room to fully stand, do circles, and stretch out when laying down. Now that I think of it, it might be due to the fact that all of her toys are in her bed except for her kong toy that I put treats in. I spend most of my time on the computer, is it bad for me to be in the room while she's locked in her crate. If she whines it's only for a short period and I just ignore it.

Sorry for all of the questions. Just trying to make sure I do everything the proper way for the both of us.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mijas Father View Post
Yeah she won't go potty in the room where her crate is (computer room), or at least hasn't yet. I bought her a 42" crate and have it sectioned off to a smaller size. She has enough room to fully stand, do circles, and stretch out when laying down. Now that I think of it, it might be due to the fact that all of her toys are in her bed except for her kong toy that I put treats in. I spend most of my time on the computer, is it bad for me to be in the room while she's locked in her crate. If she whines it's only for a short period and I just ignore it.

Sorry for all of the questions. Just trying to make sure I do everything the proper way for the both of us.
Hi Mijas Father! Seems like Mijas is a cutie pie... My recommendation is to move the bed inside the crate, since she is comfortable to sleep on the bed. We did it to our Jupiter and when we say 'Go Home', she walks into her crate and sits down. We also play relaxing pet music for her to sleep. The first week, I sat in a chair and was reading a book and didn't look at her in the eye. She slowly went to sleep. She loves her crate. When she is tired, feeling bored, she walks right up her crate. Hope this helps...
Attached Images

Thecowboysgirl and Mary Beth like this.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 12:40 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mijas Father View Post

Since your crate is large enough if you remove the sections, I suggest you take the advice of Jupiter_0203 and move her bed and toys inside the crate. It's fine to be in the room when she is locked in her crate since she only whines a little and you ignore it.
Jupiter_0203 likes this.

Royal K9s Baron Sting DB 7/9/2017

Sting Chance von Gaard 2006-2017
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter_0203 View Post
Hi Mijas Father! Seems like Mijas is a cutie pie... My recommendation is to move the bed inside the crate, since she is comfortable to sleep on the bed. We did it to our Jupiter and when we say 'Go Home', she walks into her crate and sits down. We also play relaxing pet music for her to sleep. The first week, I sat in a chair and was reading a book and didn't look at her in the eye. She slowly went to sleep. She loves her crate. When she is tired, feeling bored, she walks right up her crate. Hope this helps...
Awesome thanks. I'm going to try this and see if it helps. I was just worried to make the crate too big but if I make it the exact size of her bed I doubt she will have any accidents. I'm sure Mija will enjoy it as well.
Jupiter_0203 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page