Ideas to introduce GSD to new adult Aussie? Help! - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By MyHans-someBoy

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-19-2016, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

Ideas to introduce GSD to new adult Aussie? Help!

My daughter wants to adopt a neutered 4 year old Aussie from a friend who needs to rehome because he nips at her daughter's young child when she runs. He is friendly, trained and very well taken care of, and of a good lineage. His good breeding is apparent. I understand the nipping is herding dog related, as my Aussie of years ago did the same.

My GSD, however, isn't fond of other strange dogs. She has done fine with the ones she lived with, but they have died of old age. These 2 met in neutral territory, some lip raising by mine, some turning away avoidance behavior, but they settled down and laid there peacefully., and she eventually looked his way. Typical GSD behavior of ignoring. She got a little nippy towards him when he was playing fetch, but perhaps she wanted to play also.

He will be leashed to my daughter for 2 weeks and kenneled when we are gone to keep them separated. I think he will be good for my GSD because she has been lonely since our other GSD passed away of old age in November. He is only here for the summer as she will be taking him when she returns to school to the house she rents. The Aussie really showed no aggression to my dog. Great personality.

Can this work? Didn't see outright aggression. Any tips? Thanks!

Last edited by Daisy; 05-19-2016 at 09:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-19-2016, 10:58 PM
Elite Member

My husband has a Hanging Tree Cowdog (which has Aussie in it) and I have a GSD. When they play, she has a tendency to try to nip at his back legs if he has a toy and is running away with it. I always correct for that, because even though they seem to really like each other, there is enough of a size difference that if he wanted to do her harm, it could get ugly really fast. They are never allowed to play unsupervised.
Supervised means I am right there with them. Especially since your GSD doesn't particularly like other dogs, I would definitely watch over them when they are together.
Daisy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page