New Puppy! 10 weeks advice? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

New Puppy! 10 weeks advice?

Hello all!

I am a new owner of a 10 week old GSD named Eira I picked her up about 5 days ago and have been ecstatic to start training her and bonding with her! Side note, my girlfriend begged for a new puppy, but doesn't want to taker care of her LOL

Anyway, she comes from a father who is a mix between show-line and working breed. He was a champ show dog and schutzhund trained. The mother was primarily working line and was a retired K9 police dog.

In 5 days I have trained her to sit, lay down, go potty outside and come (in some instances). She just learned to go down the stairs as well haha! She is great on walks and stays right by my side with no issues and seems very intelligent. She is very much a puppy and I do not attempt to force her behavior nor do I physically punish her for anything.

I have an issue I need advice on...my girlfriend and I work on the same day for about 3 out of 5 working days. On these days, we kennel our older yorkie/Pomeranian and put our GSD, Eira, in a metal octagon shaped puppy pen with chew toys etc. She whines in the pen as soon as I leave and had moved it around and pulled up the puppy pads in only 3 hours. I do not want her to develop separation anxiety or possibly hurt herself in there. We have a crate for her, but I have slowly been adjusting her to it by feeding her in it and playing with her in it, but she howls when locked inside. I understand this is normal for a puppy, but how should I approach this?

Should she be locked in the puppy pen or the crate when we are gone? Should I just ignore the howling and she will get used to it? I read a lot of mixed responses and just want her to be comfortable and not develop anxiety like our other dog (whom I did not raise). Is there anything I can put in her puppy pen to keep her occupied besides chew bones and kongs?

Also, how slow should I take her training? Can anyone provide a more descriptive timeline of how and at what age I should start teaching her and what to teach? I was going to sign her up for a puppy class nearby my home starting at the end of this month.

Last edited by Sean786; 05-13-2016 at 03:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 04:55 PM
Elite Member

Use the crate. Its safer. IMO.
She's a puppy. Let her enjoy puppyhood. Teach basics, go slow. With that said I'm no expert.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 05:02 PM
Crowned Member

Puppy pens are great, except that most of them are actually in a grid, which most puppies will climb out of. So, unless your puppy pen has a lid, or is completely vertical bars and no horizontal ones, I think you are much safer crating the pup. A two month old pup can last 3 hours, maybe four, can anyone come mid-day to let the puppy out to potty, and play with it a for a little?

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

I figured a crate may be better, good thing I got the pen for free! She was fine the first few days but has started moving it around. It may only be a matter of time before she climbs out. I normally come home around 1100 to let them out during my lunch break.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 08:48 PM
Crowned Member

yes, a crate just big enough for her to stand and turn around in. She will feel safer.

PS, where are the pictures?

Anne

Nothing is as simple as it seems or as complicated as we make it~

Attitude is everything -- Pick a good one!
Sofie AKA Ussina vom Haus Brezel
Jack von Jagenstadt
Tatty - Burmese bad cat

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 09:00 PM
Elite Member

Yes, pictures are practically a requirement around here!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 09:17 PM

Wish I could help but I don't even have my pup yet Sending you luck on training!
Would love to see pictures though!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page