Swing rear to the right when heeling - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

Swing rear to the right when heeling

My boy lacks rear awareness. He is great at heeling and gladly does it offleash. I've been slowly weaning him off rewards and eye contact.

However, when heeling, if I turn to face to my left, his butt does not move with my legs. This issue does not occur if I face to my right.

I've tried doing box work and tapping his rear with a stick, but he seems oblivious to the stick. Are there any exercises I can use to work on this? I've been working on teaching him to back up but would like more ideas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 04:45 PM
Crowned Member

You can try heeling in a left circle, smaller and smaller till its tight enough he has to move back out of your way. Make that last step with your left foot into and in front of him. Or you can try looking left followed by a little pop of the leash and then turning into him. That can teach him to get back.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 04:51 PM

great question. My boy will back up straight along a wall but leave the wall and his butt goes further and further away. I'm doing more spins to perhaps help him but that is still a forward movement.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 04:56 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by car2ner View Post
great question. My boy will back up straight along a wall but leave the wall and his butt goes further and further away. I'm doing more spins to perhaps help him but that is still a forward movement.
I know the idea of the wall, but I'd quit using it before it becomes a crutch. Maybe think about going back to just correct position with no movement and where you're rewarding from. Then one step, two steps looking for straight sits and no turning away.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Strom View Post
You can try heeling in a left circle, smaller and smaller till its tight enough he has to move back out of your way. Make that last step with your left foot into and in front of him. Or you can try looking left followed by a little pop of the leash and then turning into him. That can teach him to get back.
Giving him a correction isn't going to teach him... I'd rather teach him what I want first before I correct him for not doing it

I'm an advocate for responsible ownership of intact dogs, working dogs, and pets.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 11:38 PM
Crowned Member

Look up perch work. That's to teach rear end awareness
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-14-2016, 12:41 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fervious View Post
My boy lacks rear awareness. He is great at heeling and gladly does it offleash. I've been slowly weaning him off rewards and eye contact.

However, when heeling, if I turn to face to my left, his butt does not move with my legs. This issue does not occur if I face to my right.

I've tried doing box work and tapping his rear with a stick, but he seems oblivious to the stick. Are there any exercises I can use to work on this? I've been working on teaching him to back up but would like more ideas
When heeling, I hold the lead in my right hand behind me and give a little tug when turning left.
With front paws on the box and turning left, I'll turn her head left with a treat if she doesn't follow and stay with me.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-14-2016, 10:50 AM

If you control his head the rest of his body will follow.When we practiced left pivots for Rally I moved my hand over to the left in front of his nose at his eye level.He followed my hand and scooted his rear to the right.Eventually he began to watch for my left shoulder to dip and would turn and swing around in position.Maybe practicing pivot/halt to both left and right would be helpful.

Like Jax said,perch work is an excellent method.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-14-2016, 12:32 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fervious View Post
Giving him a correction isn't going to teach him... I'd rather teach him what I want first before I correct him for not doing it
Its not a correction and it has to do more with his positioning and attention for the turn then it does with not pivoting. Just something to try, or not.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-14-2016, 12:40 PM
Knighted Member

I used a vocal cue when teaching turn 's. For left hand turns I would say swing while using the leash to turn him with me. After a couple days of this I quit using the leash and just the vocal cue. Once he had that down I phased out the vocal cue. Plus a lot of random circles in both directions.
Now if I could get him to stop wanting to get a half step ahead of me I would be good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page