Best way to teach dog to not run into the street? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 7Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-07-2016, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 192
Best way to teach dog to not run into the street?

I use "NO" and give a slight leash yank. She still likes to chase birds into the street, theres like a million cars around here. Just looking for the best methods for making the street a no-go-zone. Slips collar? Just keep leash correcting?
She is about 14 weeks old by the way. I use a regular flat collar now.
NYCgsd is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-07-2016, 05:38 PM
Member
 
Besketball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Indiana
Posts: 91
I'd like to know the answer to this as well.
Besketball is offline  
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-07-2016, 05:38 PM
Crowned Member
 
Dainerra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: N. Central Arkansas
Posts: 6,694
using a leash is the only 100% certain way to keep a dog out of the street.
The way you have described your neighborhood, I would never consider letting my dog off-leash. Too many things going on and too many dangers.
Dainerra is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-07-2016, 05:49 PM
Moderator
 
dogma13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: michigan
Posts: 5,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dainerra View Post
using a leash is the only 100% certain way to keep a dog out of the street.
The way you have described your neighborhood, I would never consider letting my dog off-leash. Too many things going on and too many dangers.
This exactly.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
dogma13 is online now  
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-07-2016, 06:11 PM
Crowned Member
 
selzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Denmark, Ohio
Posts: 31,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dainerra View Post
using a leash is the only 100% certain way to keep a dog out of the street.
The way you have described your neighborhood, I would never consider letting my dog off-leash. Too many things going on and too many dangers.
Actually, it isn't, not with a flat collar. The dog can slip a flat collar and then its off into the street it goes.

You should use a martingale -- no-slip collar on the puppy. And a leash. At the same time, work on recall, and an Emergency DOWN. These can save a life if something happens and the leash comes out of your hands.

The trick is to NEVER make it optional. Give the COME command ONLY if you can enforce it. Enforce it every single time. Say it one time, if the dog does not come, a little tug, if that doesn't get the dog coming, than real your leash in while walking to your dog. Then walk your dog to where you were originally, and then say Good Come. Also, NEVER, EVER yell at or punish your dog in any way after you called it and it came. Don't find a mess in the living room, call the puppy, and then berate it. No!!! Coming to you is the best thing in the world. Always praise him when he comes.

When he comes have him sit in front of you. COME FRONT. Pet his head and take and release his collar, regularly. Get him used to this while you praise him. In a fix, leash breaks, whatever, you want to be able to get a handle on that collar.

The umbilical cord is important but to make them safer, teach them these basic commands. Hopefully you will never need it, but if you do, it will be there.
Chip18 likes this.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
selzer is offline  
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-07-2016, 07:10 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Dayton NV
Posts: 7,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
Actually, it isn't, not with a flat collar. The dog can slip a flat collar and then its off into the street it goes.

You should use a martingale -- no-slip collar on the puppy. And a leash. At the same time, work on recall, and an Emergency DOWN. These can save a life if something happens and the leash comes out of your hands.

The trick is to NEVER make it optional. Give the COME command ONLY if you can enforce it. Enforce it every single time. Say it one time, if the dog does not come, a little tug, if that doesn't get the dog coming, than real your leash in while walking to your dog. Then walk your dog to where you were originally, and then say Good Come. Also, NEVER, EVER yell at or punish your dog in any way after you called it and it came. Don't find a mess in the living room, call the puppy, and then berate it. No!!! Coming to you is the best thing in the world. Always praise him when he comes.

When he comes have him sit in front of you. COME FRONT. Pet his head and take and release his collar, regularly. Get him used to this while you praise him. In a fix, leash breaks, whatever, you want to be able to get a handle on that collar.

The umbilical cord is important but to make them safer, teach them these basic commands. Hopefully you will never need it, but if you do, it will be there.
Well by and large as described is the plan, a street dashing dog should never been allowed off leash until trained. And collar ditchers are exactly what Martingale collars are designed for.

https://www.lupinepet.com/martingale-collar/

So proper tool is plan A, plan B is teach your dog "Stay!!!" Crap happens, my first Boxer/APBT was a slippery headed puppy! I did not know of Martingales back in the day?? And Stewie could "apparently" chuck his collar at will???

No matter, one of the first commands I taught was "Stay!!" So even if he did chuck it ... he was going nowhere!

I don't know of a specific "Stay " clip but this should achieve the same thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaVvwbT7iYw

Moving beyond that see the first clip here:
https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/5296377-post8.html

I got more but that should get you started ... welcome aboard.
selzer likes this.
Chip18 is offline  
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-07-2016, 07:12 PM
Crowned Member
 
llombardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Illinois
Posts: 14,027
A leash. There is no reason for a dog to be off leash while in public, especially a busy area. Hiking, sure. A field, ok. Taking a walk down a busier street, no. I've had dogs run out in front of me as I was driving, it's not a good feeling and it's not safe for anyone. If your dog gets hit by a car and it's not on a leash and there are leash laws you are responsible, no one else.
Chip18 likes this.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
llombardo is offline  
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-07-2016, 07:54 PM
Crowned Member
 
selzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Denmark, Ohio
Posts: 31,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip18 View Post
Well by and large as described is the plan, a street dashing dog should never been allowed off leash until trained. And collar ditchers are exactly what Martingale collars are designed for.

https://www.lupinepet.com/martingale-collar/

So proper tool is plan A, plan B is teach your dog "Stay!!!" Crap happens, my first Boxer/APBT was a slippery headed puppy! I did not know of Martingales back in the day?? And Stewie could "apparently" chuck his collar at will???

No matter, one of the first commands I taught was "Stay!!" So even if he did chuck it ... he was going nowhere!

I don't know of a specific "Stay " clip but this should achieve the same thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaVvwbT7iYw

Moving beyond that see the first clip here:
https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/5296377-post8.html

I got more but that should get you started ... welcome aboard.

I looked at the lupine site and it says the collar should not be on dogs that are unsupervised or unleashed. I don't know why. They act like a regular collar when the leash is not on it. It isn't like a choke chain that will continue to tighten indefinitely. The martingale can only tighten so far, so even if the dog got the thing connected to something, it would be no worse than a flat collar.

My dogs run naked all the time. I use flat collars for their tags, and martingales for the leash. I prefer the martingales with a bit of chain on them, and have used all chain martingales. I lost mine though. I have two leather martingales, one for my girls and one for the boys, and one fabric adjustable, quick release one for puppies.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
selzer is offline  
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-07-2016, 08:02 PM
Knighted Member
 
Gretchen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: California's Central Coast
Posts: 3,325
You have to be vigilant - watch for things they might chase like other animals, motorcycles, skateboarders, etc.
A well made leash and collar. Go to training, maybe get private lessons to have a super "down" command.
Gretchen is offline  
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-07-2016, 08:45 PM
Crowned Member
 
wolfy dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 9,465
martingales are way too loose when the dog is off leash and get choked if hooked onto something. Another dog can easily get his jaw under it when they are playing or in a scuffle and then you really have a wreck. Martingales should never leave the leash.
Chip18 and fenny like this.
wolfy dog is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome