Help my sweet landshark won't stop jumping and biting - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-10-2015, 08:59 AM Thread Starter

Arrow Help my sweet landshark won't stop jumping and biting

Argus is 4.5 months old and 60lbs. He has recently taken to jumping on people and other dogs. He becomes very excited and jumps. He also does it to get attention or play. We have tried removing all attention and waiting till he has all four feet on the floor and praise...no change. We have tried placing a palm in his face when he is in process of jumping up...no change. We have tried pinching the toes. Leaving the room. Tethering and not approaching till all feet are on the floor. We have tried scruffing (he now avoids the scruff and dodges) We have tried bringing a knee up or pushing him away...still nothing. To add to the problem is he not only is unresponsive to any of these tactics, his land shark tendencies come out. He starts nipping at clothing or lightly biting/mouthing the thighs and other sensitive areas. He is getting his adult teeth and boy are they sharp! The more he is ignored the more insistent he gets. Do you have any suggestions for us? He starts his second puppy obedience class on Monday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-10-2015, 09:05 AM Thread Starter

This is the land shark. My monkey boy Argus Von Folkvangr.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-10-2015, 09:33 AM

Aww he's so handsome!

Commander is terrible about jumping, or I should say he was but now he only does it badly and often to my husband ( who refuses to correct him when he does it, so it's his own fault really ). To get Commander to stop I started stepping into his jump or toward him when he would jump up on me, I read somewhere that it asserts dominance and tells them you're in charge, blah blah blah but really, I think he just got sick of having to back up to remain balanced which is why he stopped doing it to me. I would/do verbally praise him for a "sit" afterward. He sometimes gets too excited and forgets but I just step into his jump and he will stop and sit.

Good luck figuring out how to keep him down, I know every dog is different!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-10-2015, 09:35 AM
Knighted Member

He's gorgeous! This method might sound harsh and many disagree with me on it. Take him someplace soft like a lawn and when he jumps up on you flip him on his back.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-10-2015, 10:31 AM
Crowned Member

Oh you got that right Nikitta, I HIGHLY disagree with you. OP, please do not take the chance of a possible paralyzingly injury by "flipping" your dog on his back, no matter WHAT kind of surface you're on. That is just TERRIBLE advice which could have catastrophic consequences.

mom to the cashman
the rescues...jeni-take-a-ride, and the c-monster
shangri la's seraphina blue (RIP 8/1/15)
hearthside's cinderfella (RIP 4/20/09)
shep von bellefontaine (RIP 6/9/10)
cricket (african grey RIP 7/13)
voodoo lily (dsh RIP 8/15)
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-10-2015, 11:25 AM
Knighted Member

Oh please. Stop overdramatizing. It took maybe two flips to get my dogs to stop jumping up on me
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-10-2015, 12:15 PM
Knighted Member

And guess what? When they tried to bite me as puppies, I slapped their nose. I never use anything but my hand. And guess what? They stopped biting and jumping on me. What a concept. I also don't allow them growling at me. I'm the boss of my house. I would never beat a dog. I would never use anything but my hand to correct them. BUT I don't tolerate biting, growling and jumping. If redirecting works for you, go for it. BUT I have seen SO many people who get this breed them let them turn into monsters.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-10-2015, 12:31 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yggdrasil View Post
Argus is 4.5 months old and 60lbs. He has recently taken to jumping on people and other dogs. He becomes very excited and jumps. He also does it to get attention or play. We have tried removing all attention and waiting till he has all four feet on the floor and praise...no change. We have tried placing a palm in his face when he is in process of jumping up...no change. We have tried pinching the toes. Leaving the room. Tethering and not approaching till all feet are on the floor. We have tried scruffing (he now avoids the scruff and dodges) We have tried bringing a knee up or pushing him away...still nothing. To add to the problem is he not only is unresponsive to any of these tactics, his land shark tendencies come out. He starts nipping at clothing or lightly biting/mouthing the thighs and other sensitive areas. He is getting his adult teeth and boy are they sharp! The more he is ignored the more insistent he gets. Do you have any suggestions for us? He starts his second puppy obedience class on Monday.
Have you tried correcting him with the leash? If you've been going to obedience classes with him, it could fit in with what you've been doing there. The heeling etc.. you've been doing with the leash. Off is just another piece.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-10-2015, 02:16 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikitta View Post
And guess what? When they tried to bite me as puppies, I slapped their nose. I never use anything but my hand. And guess what? They stopped biting and jumping on me. What a concept. I also don't allow them growling at me. I'm the boss of my house. I would never beat a dog. I would never use anything but my hand to correct them. BUT I don't tolerate biting, growling and jumping. If redirecting works for you, go for it. BUT I have seen SO many people who get this breed them let them turn into monsters.
Amen, Nikitta!

~Vesper~March 28, 2015
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-10-2015, 02:36 PM

Whichever method you use (we used the turn-away-and-sometimes-hip-bump), being consistent, is my advice. When Leo was between 4-7 months, those were the worst times! When we first started to address Leo's jumpy/mouthy behaviour, were told every method under the sun and used them all; unfortunately each family member who came in contact with Leo had their own idea of doing a different method (got to love the Caesar roll supplemented with treat reinforcement :-O) Our trainer was explicit---use what works and have everyone (including guests) integrate it into routine (for us--turn-away). We also kept a lead on him for a while, and sometimes still pop it on if he is rambunctious (although just read on the boards that cutting the loop of lead/leash makes it much safer-simply genius!). With Leo the landsharky, we continue to see improvement, and as Steve stated, classes will also instill self-discipline in pup! We now see Leo almost check himself during excited times (like he wants to jump but knows not to) and now go into an automatic sit <---never thought we'd get to this!!! Consistency and fair discipline that works (and obedience or group classes with other pups) are the philosophies that we use. Good luck!!

Leo's auto sit

Tina/Mama

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Leo~5/22/14~ GSD Love of my Life pup
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Shane, 2001-2017, Gentle-Soul, Black GSD,

Jake, 2000-2013, Rhodesian Ridgeback (soul-mate pup)

Mike, 2008-2014, GSD, Gentle Giant
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page