How to teach your dog to close a door - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2013, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Talking How to teach your dog to close a door

I have an 8 year old shepherd. (currently looking for a pure black male pup please let me know i live in canada)

And have taught him to do pretty much everything. But I saw this forum and figured in case none has done this, I would help in showing how I taught my dog to close the door. This includes ALL doors from house doors to fridge doors.
Its quite simple really.

Go up to a fridge door and take their paw, does not matter which one, and push it against the OPEN door so it closes. Say close the door. Even when you are assisting your dog to do this, say good boy and give him/her a treat when it closes. Open it again and repeat!
Do this a few times each day at about 5 minutes or so. Also get the dog to sit and watch YOU do it and say close the door each time. You CAN just say close. But I like the whole sentence as its more interesting when people come over.
He will eventually start trying to push it and looking to you for acceptance. Once he is getting the idea and closing the door you should be able to walk away into another part of the kitchen and point and say close the door if it is open.

Once they get good at it then place them in front of regular doors and repeat this command. I put my dog at the top of the stairs and told him to close the door as it as downstairs and he proceeded to do that.

Hope this helps. : )

My goal in life is to be as good of a person as my two dogs think I already am.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2013, 11:25 AM

That's good work thanks for the tips we are training our pup to be a service dog. Where in Canada do you live I will send you a PM with my dogs breeder she was great and has all black pups once in a whole from working lines.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Argos Von Janzhaus - Autism Service Dog

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2013, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Talking Your welcome!

We live in B.C. Canada.
Abbotsford. Or about 50 kms. from Vancouver.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2013, 01:31 PM
Knighted Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Cheyanna
Thanks

That is a great idea. I am going to try it. Any idea how to get her to close the dishwasher door? It is horizontal to the floor.

Cheyanna

Handler for Service Dog, Fiona Van Sandstein (5/23/12 -- )
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2013, 02:44 PM

We taught our guy how to shut the front door with a clicker and a target. It took about 20 minutes a day for a week from introducing the target to him shutting the door without the target but he did it. I got the idea from TAB on YouTube and its great for when I have a ton of groceries in my hands and he can close up behind me.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

The best things in life are Furry!!

Mamma to Mellie (Black Cat) and Avery (GSD)
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

For the dishwasher id get her to use her nose.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2014, 09:32 AM
Elite Member

Did you post in working litters and K9's on Facebook? I think I responded to you there. I have the perfect male, but I am in the states.

Dawn Brogan

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

i have a dog now if that is what you are asking..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page