How to get them to talk. It's complicated. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

How to get them to talk. It's complicated.

Others say to use something like a toy that they really love and hang it in front of them and say the command. Get them to be in a situation to where he is mostly to sing/talk.

I have tried everything. Toys. Balls. Treats. Nothing worked. But there is one that gets Gunner to sing.

I am afraid to do that because the only way Gunner will talk is when there is other dogs. I was at petsmart and he was in a down stay. He stays, but just was talking like crazy. I would try to quite him down by saying shhh quite. He just went louder and longer. Not sure I want to use that as an aid to get Gunner to sing.

Any ideas?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

~ Jesi
Gunner - GSD (Adopted 6/29/12) - Registered Therapy Dog Inc.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hero - GSD ( Awaiting at the bridge for me )
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 10:18 PM

I've heard to tie em out or attach their leash and then go around the corner. They will usually bark at you to come back then.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 11:18 PM Thread Starter

I never would have thought of that.
Thanks!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

~ Jesi
Gunner - GSD (Adopted 6/29/12) - Registered Therapy Dog Inc.

Hero - GSD ( Awaiting at the bridge for me )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 11:30 PM
Crowned Member

Trying to teach him to speak? I wouldn't use the tie out option. That would teach him to bark when you leave. You coming back when he barks could teach him that he barks and he gets what he wants (you). Think of the heck that would cause when you leave the house without him....

Have you tried...... barking at him. Get him riled up and bark at him. Will he bark at hearing other dogs bark? If he barks at you when you bark at him (I know it sounds funny but it works for some dogs), mark it. If he barks when he hears other dogs bark, mark the bark. This is also a good way to help work on teaching quiet because you can mark the speak and mark the quiet a few seconds later.

Shasta GSD 5/5/10 CGC, ITD, TC
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus BCAT CAX2 CGCA ETD HCT NCO-1 PKD-T RATI RATN RA TC TKA 3/18/2013
"Hades" Guilty vom Blutfeuer 10/26/2018
Zena GSD 6/1/03-2/16/2016
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 11:32 PM

My son has a feeding pump and when the feed is not working it will alarm like a be boop be boop sounds he howls like a husky everytime then tries to attack it lol maybe try the alarm clock but that might not be a very good idea if you want to sleep in lol

My mother in laws dog sings wheny kids scream too loud or cry really loud

Argos Von Janzhaus - Autism Service Dog

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 05:01 AM

I just teached Skar to "Speak", I had the same issue as you do.

I found out that if I tie him and moving the ball he likes REALLY fast he will bark(I throw it to the wall and catch it close to him, where he can reach it), work perfect.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 06:00 AM
Banned

These barks, or other barks... The voice was granted to all creatures, including us, humans, for communication. He barks, unable to catch the ball, for his protest. For the same reason he barks when left alone. The trick is to make him bark solely because you ask him to do that and reward.
KZoppa provided you with a clue - you yourself should take the initiative to produce the sound. Not necessary the dogs, could be a bird, start to bark yourself at it first, before he opens his mouth. If he looks in the same direction as you do and starts barking - support your own bark with the verbal command in repetition. If you see something suddenly, indicate it to him with the command and support with your own bark. Your behaviour will sound for him the behaviour of the leader of the pack, who alarms the pack for some reason. Always reward him with a treat, because later on it will be the treat in your hand only to drive him. Then, this "Spe-e-ak" doesn't sound very exiting, becouse it starts with a sibilant and ends with a voiceless consonant. Simply "Bark!" will do. Use the command in German if you like, German sounds sharp. It could be better to change the sound of your command from now on anyway, as well as the drive.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 08:41 AM

Is there anything you currently say (or maybe do) that will make him bark? If so use that and transition it to a hand signal, then the hand signal to the new command.

With Emma if I said "who's that?" She would run around barking. I took that and taught her to stay sit while I said it with a hand signal, then ultimately used the hand signal and "speak" in order for her to bark on command.

Good luck!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 10:13 AM
Knighted Member

Bark at him. I've always had vocal dogs, Lakota is a big talker. If she makes any sort of sound, mostly like a woo woo or something we can mimick the sound back to her and we'll keep going back & forth with all difffent sounds it's really funny, sometimes she sounds like a cow. If it gets carried away she usually goes into a howl.

Carolyn
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10
Wolfen - WGSD 12/31/14
Bull -WGSD 2-10-10
💔
Apache - Shiloh Shepherd 12/15/02 - 6/9/15
Kiya - Shiloh Shepherd 5/15/04 -12/19/25
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 01:49 PM
Knighted Member

This sounds silly, but it works for me. I'm teaching my puppy to sing (howl) by "wooo'ing" into the cardboard roll left over from the paper towels. He can't resist this noise, lol. It gets him barking too - but he's already an expert barker, lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page