teaching to stay out of crate - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-22-2013, 11:09 PM Thread Starter

teaching to stay out of crate

my guy is about to be 1 years old pretty soon, and i feel like its time to stay out of the crate now (if you recommend it!)...i wanted to start with staying out of the crate at night but ive tried it a few times but he always wants to play! he will get up on the bed and keep nipping me, stealing my clothes, etc.. until i get up and by that time i put him in the crate!

i want to end up being able to leave him out during the day while im out without him wrecking the house...he never really wrecks the house while im around though (except when im extremely busy and hes extremely bored i found out hes been eating my carpet in a hidden corner..sneaky guy!).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-22-2013, 11:19 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvtopiwala View Post
(except when im extremely busy and hes extremely bored i found out hes been eating my carpet in a hidden corner..sneaky guy!).
We learned our lesson and the room he was doesn't have carpet, the subflooring has been dug into and the drywall is scratched and bitten. :/ I'd wait until he's not doing that at all. My DH and I just tested him with a shopping trip (this is MONTHS after the room destruction) and leaving him out of his crate when he was extremely tired from a busy day out with us and he did great. We also waited until he got to the point in his training and mouthy-ness to trust he isn't going to chew everything up. I honestly wouldn't have taken the chance if I wasn't 100% positive he wouldn't get into anything during that hour and a half.

Go with your gut feeling and take it slow if you do choose to let him out of his crate when you're not home, Short trips like 10 minutes or so. We also worked a lot on cars in the garage and left him inside the house and would check on him periodically, slowly lengthening the time he was being left unobserved.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-22-2013, 11:29 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvtopiwala View Post
my guy is about to be 1 years old pretty soon, and i feel like its time to stay out of the crate now (if you recommend it!)...i wanted to start with staying out of the crate at night but ive tried it a few times but he always wants to play! he will get up on the bed and keep nipping me, stealing my clothes, etc.. until i get up and by that time i put him in the crate!

i want to end up being able to leave him out during the day while im out without him wrecking the house...he never really wrecks the house while im around though (except when im extremely busy and hes extremely bored i found out hes been eating my carpet in a hidden corner..sneaky guy!).
How much time do you have during the day? And keep sleep (night), play (day) different . And catch up to your dog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 08:42 AM Thread Starter

i haev a lot of time durin the day ideally i want to first start with him being able to sleep out of the crate without killing my room and me in the process haha...i thought about getting a basket muzzle from leeburg to start with so he cant really destroy anything unless he digs it...but he never digs (doesnt know how).
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 10:05 AM
Elite Member

We waited until Finn was almost two before we left him out of the crate. One of the big things is, wear him out before bed. The first week or so, he was so tired he was practically stumbling up the steps. A sleepy puppy is a happy puppy and they won't destroy anything.

RIP Sebastian, Baby, Cheyenne, Baxter. Gone but never forgotten.

Finnian The Irish Lad WGSD: SAR
Abeni the Little Warrior: Pomeranian rescue.

"Res nos operor ut alius algo"
"Go mairidís beo"
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 11:23 AM Thread Starter

do you think its ok to put a basket muzzle on him while hes out of the crate when we are not home? do you think if we do that and take it off after a few months he will be destructive?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 04:18 PM
Elite Member

Me personally...I wouldn't do it. Too many things can go wrong; the holes in the basket get caught on something and the dog seriously injures themselves or worse trying to get unstuck, the dog gets sick, tries to vomit, and if the muzzle isn't the correct size, he might not be able to open his mouth and vomit, causing him to choke on it...the possibilities are endless. You should never muzzle a dog unless you are physically right near the dog to save it if something goes wrong.

If you are wanting to start letting him have free roam, might I suggest starting with very short trips. We started by leaving him out when we'd run to the store for a short trip and he was baby-gated into the living room with the TV or radio on. Every time he went several weeks without destroying anything, we expanded his area and we lenghtened our time away from home.

It's very much trial and error. The biggest thing to remember is, you can't punish him for something you didn't see him do. It's hard to not have feelings of pure homicide if the dog mauls a pair of expensive shoes while his stuffie is laying right next to him, but the onus is on you to make sure there's nothing to redirect boredom onto.

"Go mairidís beo"
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 09:22 AM Thread Starter

yeah very true. i guess the best bet is to wear him out pretty good before we leave for a short trip....or wait until hes a bit older lol
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 09:54 AM
Elite Member

Pretty much. As I said, start with short trips. Heck, take a walk around the block and leave him out of the kennel...or walk to the end of the street and back. Wearing him out is also a very very good idea.

"Go mairidís beo"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page