Sounds silly, but.... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-20-2013, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Sounds silly, but....

I have NOT been able to teach my girl, Echo, to shake hands or give a "high five". Sounds ridiculous, given that I have been training dogs for over 30 years and have multiple dogs with multiple AKC obedience titles. Echo absolutely shuts down when I try to teach her to pick up a paw. She has no problem with me, or anyone else, touching her feet, trimming nails, etc. I just don't get it.
Any ideas? I'd love for her to shake hands or give a high five when she is doing therapy dog work. Echo is 7 years old, and as gentle as golden retriever puppy wrapped in cotton.
Thanks!!

-LeeAnn
There are two kinds of dogs: Dogs who are German Shepherds, and dogs who WISH they were German Shepherds....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Echo of Someday Vom Royale, CD, RA, CGC, TDI
Laughin' Tori Lori, CD, RN, CGC
Marcella's Miss Ruby Dee, RN, CGC, TDI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-20-2013, 03:05 PM
Knighted Member

Have you tried holding a treat in your hand and clicking when Echo paws at it? Then you can work that pawing motion into an actual shake. Maybe that would work?
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-20-2013, 03:32 PM
Knighted Member

I teach 'shake' using a clicker and treats.

Pick up her right paw in your right hand and say 'shake' when you perform the action. Click and treat. Repeat. 'Shake', click, treat.

Don't do this until you have actually picked up her paw and are shaking it.

Lisl had this in an hour, and High-5 was literally taught in minutes with no clicker or treats at all. She was a natural for this as she is always raising her paw up.

I too have been teaching basic obedience and stupid pet tricks for over 25 years and some dogs are harder than others to teach the same things to.

Bear, Anna, Molly, Ossie, and The Countess Lisl von Schlaf

An Unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page