Polite Greetings??? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-10-2013, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

Polite Greetings???

Alright I have a question. For the most part Jade is great meeting new people and dogs, but this weekend we ran into a little problem with a shelti. Jade wanted to say hi and play with the dog but she kept getting up in the other dogs face. I know that face to face meetings can be considered "rude" but I'm not sure how to prevent that so I just kept pulling Jade back to me. Several times the Shelti came up behind for a little sniff when Jade wasn't pay attention but Jade would instantly spin around like "whoa! What you doing back there! Oh you want to play, okay!" It wasn't hostile in any way, the other dog just kept surprising her. But the other dog was clearly not having any of Jade's face to face stuff and kept backing up. Eventually I just had to kept Jade glued to my side because I didn't want anything to happen and neither dog was going to change what they were doing.

So if face to face greeting is wrong, how do you teach your dogs to allow other dogs to do the around the back sniffing? Does that make any sense?

Jade BN CGC- 05/06/12

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
-Groucho Marx
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-10-2013, 12:57 PM
Crowned Member

My husky would start out all nice, but the minute the other dog sniffed her behind, she turned aggressive. Since it wasn't important for me to have her play with other dogs, I just avoided other dogs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Royal K9s Baron Sting DB 7/9/2017

Sting Chance von Gaard 2006-2017
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-10-2013, 03:26 PM
Crowned Member

My Lacy doesn't allow 'behind' the scenes sniffing. He'll flip in the air to avoid it. However, his flipping is normally considered play by the other dog. He would rather face to face greet. Then 'friendlier terms' can be discussed. If the other dog doesn't care for face to face greeting, then I won't allow them to greet.

My GSD doesn't want to make friends with other dogs. He'll ignore. Therefore, I don't allow any greetings with strange dogs. If I'm at a friend's house and we want the dogs to meet, we'll do it on a leash. The other dog will come and they'll do a shoulder to shoulder sniff, working their way back. Even after all the politically correct greetings are made, he'll ignore. He's a social snob.

Hondo Von Dopplet L Bauernhof "Hondo"- GSD
Lilie's Tug McGraw "Tug" - Golden Retriever
Maggie - Mini Dachshund (Rescue)
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-10-2013, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

We have never had a problem meeting other dogs before, like Lilie said Jade normally starts with the face to face and then moves on from there. And Jade was on a leash for all this, although the other dog was not which is why it kept sneaking up behind Jade for a little sniff. Eventually I made the decision that all of you seem to have come it, it wasn't worth messing with and we eventually just left the area.

I just want to make sure that Jade isn't being rude. I always control first time meetings with strange dogs and I don't want to be "that person" with the rude dog

Jade BN CGC- 05/06/12

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
-Groucho Marx
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-10-2013, 04:00 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby142 View Post
We have never had a problem meeting other dogs before, like Lilie said Jade normally starts with the face to face and then moves on from there. And Jade was on a leash for all this, although the other dog was not which is why it kept sneaking up behind Jade for a little sniff.

The problem could have simply been because the other dog was not on a leash and Jade was.

I would just mark it off as lessons learned, and not worry too much about it. See if the same behavior is repeated when Jade is on or off leash.

Hondo Von Dopplet L Bauernhof "Hondo"- GSD
Lilie's Tug McGraw "Tug" - Golden Retriever
Maggie - Mini Dachshund (Rescue)
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page