Whining in car - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Whining in car

My 1 yr old German Shepherd loves to go for rides, but he whines in the car and I can't get him to stop. I am sure it's not from being scared or nervous, he gets so excited. If we get near a place we walk or play at especially.

I'm typically in the car myself, so its hard to do anything about it. Any suggestions on keeping I'm from getting so excited when he gets to go for a ride?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 09:21 PM
Elite Member

Scarlett is 6 and does the SAME THING! When we approach the park, our house, the beach...she starts this high-pitched whining sound. It's nerve wracking. I know it's because she is really excited, but it is a little irritating.

All we have to do is SHOW her a bottle of bitter apple (or hair spray or windex or any bottle of liquid) and tell her to leave it. She generally stops or at least tones it down. She just can't seem to contain her excitement.

I am SURE some of the other members can give you a better suggestion to control this behavior. Scarlett was already almost 2 when we rescued her and she has done this since then. She even did it when we brought her home the first time. It's like she knew.

At least she isn't terrified of the car. :]

Scarlett WGSD 2/07 CGC TDI(retired)
Paige Husky/GSD mix 2/95-12/08

If you are going through hades, keep going!
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

I've never thought of bitter apple spray. But I'm not really sure how I'd use it. Just spray his mouth anytime he starts to whine? Thanks or the help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlettsmom View Post
Scarlett is 6 and does the SAME THING! When we approach the park, our house, the beach...she starts this high-pitched whining sound. It's nerve wracking. I know it's because she is really excited, but it is a little irritating.

All we have to do is SHOW her a bottle of bitter apple (or hair spray or windex or any bottle of liquid) and tell her to leave it. She generally stops or at least tones it down. She just can't seem to contain her excitement.

I am SURE some of the other members can give you a better suggestion to control this behavior. Scarlett was already almost 2 when we rescued her and she has done this since then. She even did it when we brought her home the first time. It's like she knew.

At least she isn't terrified of the car. :]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 10:03 PM
Knighted Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Cheyanna
Fiona does this in the car too. I will give a tug on her collar and say quiet. Yes, I am driving and she is in the backseat. I have to reach back and find her leash. It works ever so slightly. Then it goes into high drive whining when I park. I will open her door and tell her to sit and quiet. If she does not, I close the door. Wait a few seconds, open the door and try again. Repeat until she sits and is quiet for 2 shakes of a lamb's tail.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Cheyanna
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Handler for Service Dog, Fiona Van Sandstein (5/23/12 -- )
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 08:15 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheyanna View Post
Fiona does this in the car too. I will give a tug on her collar and say quiet. Yes, I am driving and she is in the backseat. I have to reach back and find her leash. It works ever so slightly. Then it goes into high drive whining when I park. I will open her door and tell her to sit and quiet. If she does not, I close the door. Wait a few seconds, open the door and try again. Repeat until she sits and is quiet for 2 shakes of a lamb's tail.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Thanks
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 09:55 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheyanna View Post
Like she said.

Mine also barks like a maniac at motorcycles. The whole vehicle rocks. It's deafening and embarrassing. Funny thing about the motorcycles is that when we are on a walk, he couldn't care less about them.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 10:25 AM
Elite Member

Finn was a huge car crier, especially when we got our new truck where he could ride in a kennel instead of across the back seat. We started giving him 'busy treats' for rides where he had to be in his kennel for long periods of time; frozen peanut butter Kongs, super long Bully Sticks, pig ears, frozen Peanut Butter cubes. He also only gets Pig Ears or PB Cubes on car rides, so it's a super treat for him.

He looks forward to kenneled car rides now!

RIP Sebastian, Baby, Cheyenne, Baxter. Gone but never forgotten.

Finnian The Irish Lad WGSD: SAR
Abeni the Little Warrior: Pomeranian rescue.

"Res nos operor ut alius algo"
"Go mairidís beo"
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 12:58 PM

And I thought it was just Rocky that does this!!!
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 01:06 PM
Crowned Member

Good Luck. Jax whines. She whined across 3/4 of PA to the Ohio line...the long length...until she wore herself out and went to sleep just in time for a rest stop

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 02:28 PM
Knighted Member

And here I thought I was the only one, lol! Bear only does his high pitched whining routine when he knows we're going to the park. It is soo annoying and I also am trying to figure out how to curb it

Bear GSD 10/16/11
Elsa GSD 12/23/03 - 11/10/11
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page