Stubborn dog - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy Stubborn dog

I have a 11 month old shepherd. It really frustrates me because whenever I walk him he will lie down if he doesn't want to walk anymore or if he doesn't want to go a certain direction. What I usually do is just leave him and he follows me to where I need to go. When people are around I cannot just leave him and walk away so that is where the issues lie. I don't know what to do. I tried treats but it is not working. I just don't know how to make him stand and walk. Also, when he sees that we are approaching the house he will lay down and there is no chance in he I can get him to stand and come inside. It really angers me and it is embarrassing. Please someone hive me some tips.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 12:15 PM
Crowned Member

I suggest you try turning him in the other direction. Go in a circle when he starts to baulk. Also shorten the walks, go different places, even take him in the car to a park or a new area. Walk a bit in the park, then sit on a bench -let him look around. When you come back to the house - approach from a different direction. Keep him guessing where you are going. I know it is frustrating but try to be calm. When he lies down that is a calming signal -he is either afraid of something or senses your frustration and that makes him anxious.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Royal K9s Baron Sting DB 7/9/2017

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sting Chance von Gaard 2006-2017
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 12:19 PM
Crowned Member

Do you have other animals at your home?

Hondo Von Dopplet L Bauernhof "Hondo"- GSD
Lilie's Tug McGraw "Tug" - Golden Retriever
Maggie - Mini Dachshund (Rescue)
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 12:35 PM
Crowned Member

Have you tried a higher paced walk when he starts to slow? "let's go, let's go!". I like the idea of changing directions, don't be predictable.

Worth mentioning, no issues with his paws? Injury? I'm assuming not.

My neighbors lab actually use to do this, just decided he was done and wanted to sit or lay down.

I needed help with my dog walking nicely with other dogs around, she needed help with her boy, so we started to take walks together. It worked out very well, her lab stopped doing it. They were both just under a year old at that time.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

Thank you both. I do try to go in different directions but somehow he knows that we are going home and he will lie down. I am thinking that maybe he doesn't want to go home because he knows I will take him to the backyard.
And no there are no other animals in our home. He is like 100 pounds so it is very challenging to physically make him stand and walk.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 12:58 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janulla View Post
I am thinking that maybe he doesn't want to go home because he knows I will take him to the backyard.
Why doesn't he like the backyard? Do you play with him back there?
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

Well he is overweight and i try to walk him as much as I can but because he is doing this whole sitting down thing I stopped and didn't do it much. I also take my four year old with me walking so it is hard doing it. I have noticed that he starts limping after walking and I even took him to the vet but they couldn't tell me the problem. Yesterday I took him for a long walk and he kept stopping to take breaks. I gave him water and the only way he would get up to walk was if he saw something to bark at. So it led me yo think that maybe he is lazy. But during walks I can still get him up but once we come close to the house it is impossible.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

Yes I do play with him and so does my son. I do not stay in the backyard the whole day.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 01:18 PM
Knighted Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Twyla
Odd question here - does he come inside with you or mainly stays in the backyard?
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

He manly stays in the backyard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page