Train to only accept food from us......but have a few corncerns - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

Train to only accept food from us......but have a few corncerns

Such as if we have a family or personal emergency. I guess a frequent friend or family member could be accepted as a food provider?

Your thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 10:01 PM
Crowned Member

That is what has always worried me about training a dog to take food only from certain people. I wouldn't do it for that reason.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Royal K9s Baron Sting DB 7/9/2017

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sting Chance von Gaard 2006-2017
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

Unless . . . . A command is associated with feeding. I think I might be on to something here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 10:23 PM
Elite Member

We had a dog trained that way when I was a child. When we left South Africa for England, he was rehomed with another club member... To avoid the then 6-month quarantine.

I wish I knew how they did it, but as far as that dog went, I'm pretty sure he was a dog that recognized his handler as the food provider... Which would make the switch easier, I would think.

Anyhow... He didn't starve when we left, that I do know He continued to compete.

I think if you're not there, eventually the dog will eat. If you are there, that's when he ideally would not.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Amy and the dogs,

Jack - male GSD b. 8/9/10
Lillian - female Weimaraner b. ~2005
RIP Mattie - female GSD 10/18/02 - 7/24/2013
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 10:58 PM
Elite Member

Command is a good idea. I make my dog sit/stay when I prepare food and she's not allowed to eat until I say "okay, go". You could obviously pick something more "random" so that when you need to leave her with other people you can tell them the secret phrase to release them to eat?

Megan
Lara
(12/14/2012) CGC
Jarvan
(12/25/2015) BH
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 06:04 PM
Crowned Member

I think this kind of training is utter nonsense almost certainly based on an irrational fear that someone is going to try to poison your dog. ([EDIT]- or maybe based on the archaic view of dominance theory and "alpha" role in providing food.) I'd flip the script and say a much more rational approach is to responsibly protect your dog from such situations in the first place. Don't keep them chained up in the back yard. Contain them in your house when you leave.

If you're afraid of someone breaking into your house and giving your dog poisoned meat, I'm afraid you have much bigger issues than that.

I just don't think this sort of training has any realistic value at all. Now training your dog to not eat random things it finds on the floor, like- dropped treats on an agility field, for example- is an entirely different thing.

Willy
RATCHX3 High Jinks vom Neuanfang - Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013 DN, SG, SR, CA
Inspire Spark to Ignition! (Ignite) Gotchya Day: 10/8/2016
C-ATCH Pimg - RATO, UJJ (x2), DJX, HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014

Last edited by wildo; 04-02-2013 at 06:10 PM.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 06:27 PM
Elite Member

Personal protection dogs are often trained for food refusal, I would find a trainer who is experienced and talk to them about how you should go about this

Kelly
Dalmatians:
FOREVER in my heart:
Sydney
CH Erin N Shamrock's S Hemisphere CD RN CGC
8/14/98-1/12/13

(1/3 UWP) U-CH Shamrock's Shippin Up To Boston RN CA NJ-N TT CGC "Shane" (4yrs)

"Ocean" Alabama craigslist dump (2yrs)
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 06:48 PM

Are you planning on competing in ring sports? Otherwise, I don't think it's necessary to teach food refusal. There are lots of other things you can work on depending on what you're worried about, like solid "leave its" or ignoring gesturing strangers, etc.

Nina + Beckett (4/6/11)
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 07:13 PM

Some dogs are just food hogs, I'm not sure a food hog could be taught to not take food from a stranger LOL..My aussies would eat anything you hand them. Masi on the other hand, will not take food from anyone that isn't in her 'close circle', and even then sometimes won't..I have to 'touch' it first and then she'll go for it.

I did not teach her this, she's just very discriminating I guess, or maybe thinks everyone is out to poison her

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 07:50 PM
Crowned Member

I never trained any of my dogs not to take food from strangers, but they all pick and choose who they take treats from. The winners are a couple people at the pet store, the trainer, and the vet(all of these are done with my encouragement). This is treats. My bigger issue is that they don't eat unless I'm home, which I never trained them to do either. I doubt highly that my dogs wouldn't take food from a stranger if they had to, but I do think it might take them a while and they would have to trust whoever it was coming from.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page