Help please teaching my dog to tug.. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-30-2013, 04:25 AM Thread Starter

Location: From England but have been living in New Zealand for 10 years
Help please teaching my dog to tug..

I have had my 6 month old GSD bitch Norah for just over 2 months now, she is a sweet natured dog who is pretty laid back for her age. I have been doing obedience with her, which was not my original plan, if it had been I might have gone for a more driven dog, but no matter. She learns quickly, wants to please me, and we are developing a great bond.
I have been using clicker and treat training and would like to get her tugging but I can't seem to get her interested, she sometimes tugs very briefly in the morning, but later in the day she just isn't interested. I put this down to her being tired after a walk and playing with my very high energy 3 year old Dobie, it's also been quite hot here so that might sap her energy a bit.
She just looks at the tug toy and isn't bothered, if I have treats with me, she becomes focused on them and I can't seem to get her to look at the tug toy! Years ago I competed in obedience with two Belgian Shepherds and never had to "teach" them to tug..
Has anyone had a similar problem? Any ideas on how to awaken her interest would be really appreciated
She is fit and healthy and fed on large breed puppy food, so no issues there..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-30-2013, 08:25 AM

Check out Michael Ellis, power of playing tug DVD.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-30-2013, 08:35 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Also search this site for "flirt pole" - a great way to get her interested.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-30-2013, 09:30 AM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

I would also limit how time she spends with your dobe. You want her to look to you for fun and games. Right now, your dobe is more fun than you are, so you'll have to change that. My dog always comes to me for play and interaction, and only if I don't engage him does he turn to my other dog for play.

Lucia

2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-30-2013, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, have looked at the video, had a brief go this morning but she wouldn't even take hold of it so husband is making a flirt pole it's 85+ in the shade right now though, so the dogs are just lying in the shade, will try this evening and see how we go..

Last edited by Charlie W; 03-30-2013 at 08:31 PM. Reason: Typo
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-30-2013, 08:37 PM
Crowned Member

How are you offering it to the dog? Have you dragged it along the ground?

Norden von Narnia (Hans) DOB 1-15-12

Rolf, German import DOB 6-7-2019
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-30-2013, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

Yes, I've tried dragging along the ground and she'll chase it but only paw at it, not take hold. If I stop or throw it (which the video says not to do) then she stops too!!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 05:37 AM
Master Member

She might just not be interested My female is like that, she will tug a little really gently, then just let go and want me to throw it.
She's a really soft dog, no real prey drive at all she's way more into food
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

Ok Mooch, I think Norah might be like your girl, I took her into the paddock early this morning before it got too hot. I was in competition with sme very tasty sheep poo, but by acting a complete clown I got her running and chasing me, she even tugged a little bit at one point. I kept the session short and I'll see if I can build on it. Mind you, there are advantages to having a sweet dog that doesn't chase stock, and with food rewards the obedience is coming on well..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page