Just moved... Lonnngg night. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 08:25 AM Thread Starter

Just moved... Lonnngg night.

Okay, so my boyfriend and I just moved into our new house yesterday, and we brought the animals over in the evening after everything had settled down. Usually, all animals have access to the full house, but just to get acquainted, we separated the cat(upstairs) and our 14 month old GSD who likes to chase him(downstairs). We put duke's kennel in the living room, and put our other dog's bed next to him so he'd have some company. Duke(pup) howled and whined for 2 hours straight, and then on and off the rest of the night.

I was expecting some anxiety from him, new house, first move for him since we brought him home at 10weeks, but still, he's a bit more anxious than I'd like to see. He whines if I leave him somewhere where he can't see me(upstairs, or bathroom), and he starts running around the house.

I really don't want this to become a habit. He used to howl a couple times right before bed, and in the morning when he woke up, but it was never more than a very short song. How can I teach him to settle and go to bed, and to be calm when I leave the room?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 08:28 AM Thread Starter

Oh, when I re-read that, it sounded like I just brought him over and put him in his crate! No, I took him around the house and showed him everything, lots of praise and love. Then we ate dinner, took showers, watched a movie, and finally went to bed. Duke had about 3 or 4 hours of wandering around and checking things out.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 09:19 AM

I imagine it will take him some adjustment time too. New place, new smells, etc. Patience!

Rompin'Stompin'RagtimeJazz - "Jazzy"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 10:26 AM
Elite Member

It took Finn about three days to fully settle down after we moved. The first night was very rough; every noise had him going to the windows, I think he sniffed every inch of carpet, and just the general level of anxiety in the house had him on edge. The second day was a bit smoother, but he still got a bit ramped up when we left to get things settled around town. By the third day, he was cranky when we kenneled him for several hours with us moving the last of the things into the house from the truck and garage. Once things got settled that evening, he settled in just fine.

RIP Sebastian, Baby, Cheyenne, Baxter. Gone but never forgotten.

Finnian The Irish Lad WGSD: SAR
Abeni the Little Warrior: Pomeranian rescue.

"Res nos operor ut alius algo"
"Go mairidís beo"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page