Roll - Over and Changing the "release" word - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 08:36 AM Thread Starter

Roll - Over and Changing the "release" word

So two things i'm having major issues with Draven (8months on the 26th) is Roll-Over and retraining a word.

So I'll start with Roll-over, so I never really thought this one would be handy at all just a pet gimmick and I've taught him other gimmicks like weaving through my legs, playing dead, shaking paws, giving high 5's etc.

But I brush and trim his nails when he's "Playing Dead" as its the easiest for me to do , but he only plays dead on one side... he's 80+ pounds... he's a freak'n moose to get him on his other side... thats when I realize I failed to teach him rollover early...

So I put him in the "Play Dead" position, and I try and "Lure" him over his shoulder to force him on his back and over but he normally follows the lure to a certain point and gets confused and goes into a play dead hoping for the treat.

Othertimes he sits up / goes into a down position and switches sides (But won't lay flat on a play dead) I haven't found any good videos on youtube that help mostly people showing their dog rolling over... which doesn't help

Second thing:

The release word... I don't know why but I used the word "Okay" which apparently a lot of people do... but it was a HUGE mistake... that word is said so much that its confusing.

For instance I would drop a treat and then say "leave it" and then let him have it saying "Okay" but then he through "Oh I can get up"

I've changed it so that he's allowed to take the treat when I say "Take it" but that doesn't help the whole "Okay" release word.

Anyway hope to hear some good suggestions!

Draven - GSD - 07/26/2012
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 09:15 AM
Crowned Member

My experience with the "Roll over" is that it can be hard for some dogs to do physically. My guy is very long and lanky and I think he has a really hard time with it, so then he gets kind of anxious that he can't do it and does exactly what you describe. If you have a small hill anywhere, try it there-- have gravity give him a hand That was how I taught him initially, so I think struggling to do it on flat ground was hard for him.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 09:57 AM
Master Member

My release word for most things is "farewell". I do use "okay", but only for certain things, like going through a door or releasing them to eat their food.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

Roll - Over and Changing the "release" word

Yeay problem is that I need to break the okay word and train a new word...

New word is easy how to you break the old one??

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Draven - GSD - 07/26/2012
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 02:12 PM
Master Member

My dog can kinda roll over but it's really hard for him to do physically so I don't ask him to. He's just an awkward gangly thing that doesn't like to roll over.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page