12 month anti social - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-16-2013, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

12 month anti social

So, now we've determined that our GSD mix is not social, how do I get him to stop attacking the neighbors and their dogs at his 6am bathroom break?! He gives the poor neighbors a heart attack, makes their dog miserable and almost pulls me down. I appreciate him being so defensive, but he needs to know to "leave it" when I say so.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-16-2013, 12:28 PM
Jag
Knighted Member

Well, *I* wouldn't appreciate my dog acting that way! Where is the threat?? Can you explain more about what you're seeing? The dog's background? If you're thinking he's 'protecting' you, your property, whatever, I think you need to unthink that one.

Wrath of Grim z Dragon
"Mr. Grim"- Threaten my handler. I dare you.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-16-2013, 12:58 PM
Crowned Member

Until you get him under control...consider taking your dog out before or after your neighbors so there isn't any problems

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-16-2013, 01:14 PM
Knighted Member

I spend alot of time outdoors with my 15 month old, playing with him, to desensitize him to the neighbors coming and going. He'll ignore them when he's engaged in play, but if he's just hanging around and barks, he's told "quiet" and it that fails then he's brought indoors. I'm sure he could give my non-GSD loving neighbors a heart attack too, if I let him, but it's pretty easy to make it clear to him that that's not allowed. If he's pulling you down you might consider a prong collar and maybe the help of a good trainer.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-16-2013, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

12 month anti social

I see it at night or in the early morning before the sun comes up and small dogs are the problem. I can't avoid taking him out when the neighbors are around because I can't predict when they're going to be walking their dog past our yard. Plus, we have lots of neighbors who walk their dogs during weird hours and it would be a full time job trying to keep track of them.

I do appreciate it because I'm rather small and incase someone had any ill intention, I would want them to understand that he's here and he's not going to allow them to hurt us (the nicer neighborhoods have been targets for home invasions in the past year)

He is the same way, as long as I have a ball, or he has the ball, he completely ignores any distractions, and I can usually just say "Leave it" and he follows just fine...it's when it's dark that we have the issue.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-16-2013, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

12 month anti social

And as far as his history goes, he's been with us since he was 4 months old and was homeless for 2 weeks before the shelter got him. But before that, I'm pretty sure he had a good home, he was partially trained and has no fear aggression or fear of people period. It's just been since he's matured that he's lost his tolerance for small dogs.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page