How to teach "folf" (frisbee golf) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 03-10-2013, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

How to teach "folf" (frisbee golf)

Hi,

I'm new to the forum so if there is a thread on this I'll take a redirect. I looked through the first couple pages and did a search but I may just not be using the right keywords

Ok, I want to teach my dog, Athena, to play folf with me. The basics of the game are like golf. Stand at the tee box and throw your disc. Try to get to the hole in as few throws as possible.

What I want from Athena is for her to chase my disc, but not return it. I would like her to run to where the disc lands and wait for me to come pick it up.

My question is how do I teach her to point out the disc but not retrieve it? I don't have a training partner but I could probably find someone to help me. Ideally I would like to teach this behavior without help as I will probably have trouble getting the same person to consistently help me.

* About Athena*
- She will be 1 year on March 21.
- Very good with people occasionally shy around new dogs
- For the past 3 weeks to 1 month we have only been playing fetch with a ball. I have been doing this so I can switch to a frisbee in order to teach her folf.

* Commands known*
- Sit, lay down, stay, come, go to bed, wait/fetch (those are the verbal commands I use, they all have a corresponding hand signal)
- She also leash walks very well and will wait coming in or out of the house/my room
- I have recently taught her to sit and wait when playing fetch. She only chases the ball when I say fetch and/or give the hand signal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page