How do I Teach Emergency Down or Stay - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

Question How do I Teach Emergency Down or Stay

I'm getting old and forgetful. I know the importance of this command first hand - it saved a previous Golden's, Amber's life.

We lived across from a park that had busy streets on 3 sides with no fencing. In the middle was a big field the kids played in. Amber loved to play with the neighborhood kids, especially kick ball - that had one of those red real bouncy balls. She would heard it by bouncing it off her chest and direct it with her nose. She loved the game. She would retiieve it for them or get in the middle of a keep away game. On one occasion the ball got away from the kids and headed for the street - with Amber chasing it. As she hit the sidewalk I realized she was not stopping and was able to yell down or stay (dont remember) and she stopped dead in her tracks while the ball went into the street and was hit by a car.

I vaguely remember (this was 35 years ago) training her by having her be in a long sit while I went across the yard, then calling her and shouting "Down or Stay" at some point in her recall. Is this still the proper method?

As I teach Emma I want to be working on an emergency down, or stay - something I can shout at a distance to have Emma stop dead in her tracks, no matter what she is doing.

She is just past 13 weeks now and really starting to pick up on the training. Still a lot of distractions, but starting to pay attention.

Any help or links would be appreciated.

Thanks - Keith
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 03:04 PM
Crowned Member

I have never taught an emergency down for any of my dogs. I have taught them an emergency word which is something other then come or front. It is taught using the highest value treats and should be practiced often so they don't forget the word. It is something that can be trained, all three of my dogs know the word, hopefully I'll never have to use it.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 03:06 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llombardo View Post
I have never taught an emergency down for any of my dogs. I have taught them an emergency word which is something other then come or front. It is taught using the highest value treats and should be practiced often so they don't forget the word. It is something that can be trained, all three of my dogs know the word, hopefully I'll never have to use it.
man reading this gave me a huge sense of anticipation and wondering, what is your secret word!!!?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Megan
Lara
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(12/14/2012) CGC
Jarvan
(12/25/2015) BH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 03:23 PM
Banned

your dog is 13 weeks old. don't expect much. with steady
training you'll have control. when it comes to an emergency
stop my dog knows "no", "stop", "wait", "hey, get over here",
Loki, no", etc. it's not so much these commands are for an emergency.
my dog responds to these things. you have to have control of your
dog. your dog doesn't know an emergency responce from any other
responce. your dog needs to respond to his commands. once your dog knows
some commands to stop him you should be alright. keep your dog leashed untill
you have control with him when he's off leash.

Last edited by doggiedad; 03-03-2013 at 03:28 PM.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 03:25 PM

Id be interested in learning this as well

Sage
7/27/12-
Ryker
12/25/13- 11/6/15 :'(
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

I know she is 13 weeks, but want to include this in her training. She is starting to show interest in the training sessions actually learning a few things - or has me fooled - maybe it is the treats

So if I am understanding correctly, her just knowing and working with the basic commands, Stay. Leave it, down. off, stop, etc, and buy working with her to have an instant response I should be good

The Boss Unit reminded me we had Amber trained by a trainer on the down command to stop whatever she was doing and drop to the ground - it came out of her having a jumping problem on people issue - she loved everybody and anything - would probably have licked a bugler to death.

llombardo - what do you dogs do on this emergency word? I'm curious.

I want to teach Emma a wrod that means drop dead in her tracks, and focus on me for the next command. I know this will take time. Maybe it should be STOP

Thoughts
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 04:50 PM
Crowned Member

I didn't plan on this being an emergency word, but I use "Wait!" Wait means stop, do absolutely nothing until I tell you otherwise. My puppy is a hound mix, with an iffy recall. He follows his nose. We were in our fenced yard, so no danger of him escaping. He was on a cat trail and I knew he wouldn't come if I called him. I yelled, "Wait!" and held up one finger. (Our hand signal for wait.) He waited. Stopped in his tracks until I went over and got him.

Jan
Shelby 9-2-14
Natty Boh 6-27-12
Annie 1998 - 8-2-12 RIP
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 06:55 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mego View Post
man reading this gave me a huge sense of anticipation and wondering, what is your secret word!!!?
Mine is more like two words....GiddyUp and I put emphasis on both words in a very happy voice, there is no way that my dogs will ever hear that anywhere they go ever, so I feel comfortable with it. I also say the word and it sounds like one word. Other people used danger, caution, stuff like that. It can be any word you want, but at least two syllables works well.

Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 07:03 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERSCOL View Post

llombardo - what do you dogs do on this emergency word? I'm curious.
They stop what they are doing and come to me immediately. Its way different then using here, come, front...all of the normal ones. There is no getting it wrong, its a life saving command and the teacher was very clear that this needed to be perfect Its trained using a very high value treat and the dogs remember that. I go into different rooms in my house and still practice it often. We tested it out in a class where all the dogs were involved in play and both my GSD and golden stopped immediately and left what they were doing..the teacher was very happy. My oldest learned it at home while I practice with the other two. Just now she(GSD) was chasing the cats and I had my son hide and say it...she went flying to him....that is real good, because those cats are very high value to her but that word means more

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

Thanks much.
It appears your command has to effects "stop immediately and come to me immediately"

I was across the street when the event happened to Amber, so the second part, coming might would have been bad. I appreciate your thoughts on this, especially and immediate stop and come command as I can see that being very useful. Emma will go to her first training class in 3 weeks, so will ask.

Thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page