Can't get our GSD to stop chasing the Cat - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 09:31 AM Thread Starter

Can't get our GSD to stop chasing the Cat

We have an indoor car, who is down right terrified of our new GSD. He's a rescue, so we did not know he wasn't very good with cats when we got him. He seems to be more curious than anything, but he is chasing the cat and seems to want to track the cat as well. The encounters between the two seem to be escalating the more we keep ignoring the problem. Recently the GSD nipped the cat in a playful way I believe but its still unacceptable. We are having to lock the cat up at night when the dog is inside and just generally doing our best to keep them separated. Does any one have any tips or ideas that we could use to stop him from chasing the cat and to just leave it alone. Yelling and screaming obviously does not work. Help please!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 11:54 AM
Crowned Member

Has the cat ever been around dogs? It will take time, patience, and some training. My GSD chases all 5 of my cats, but most of the cats start with her first, they really all get along well. The cat will determine when and if the dog may approach it, yes the cat is in control. When I got my first cat, he HATED my oldest dog..he arched his back, his tail blew up, he hissed, growled, etc. My dog was very patient, but persistent. It took about 3 months and I finally caught them sleeping together. They are partners in crime and its always those two getting into something. Since then I have brought in numerous other dogs and 4 cats...the original cat gave everyone except maybe the last three a hard time. Every time an animal came in it took him less time to get used to it. Now I can bring anything home and he just don't care, he takes to them pretty quick.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 08:51 AM Thread Starter

Yes, that cat has been around our other dog for a few years, but our other dog is small and does not try to chase it. I guess it's just growing pains, but the main goal is to get the GSD to stop going after the cat every time he's sees him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 08:57 AM
Banned

i find it hard to believe that your indoor car is afraid of anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Smith View Post

We have an >>> indoor car<<<, who is down right terrified of our new GSD.

He's a rescue, so we did not know he wasn't very good with cats when we got him. He seems to be more curious than anything, but he is chasing the cat and seems to want to track the cat as well. The encounters between the two seem to be escalating the more we keep ignoring the problem. Recently the GSD nipped the cat in a playful way I believe but its still unacceptable. We are having to lock the cat up at night when the dog is inside and just generally doing our best to keep them separated. Does any one have any tips or ideas that we could use to stop him from chasing the cat and to just leave it alone. Yelling and screaming obviously does not work. Help please!!!
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 09:04 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Smith View Post
Yes, that cat has been around our other dog for a few years, but our other dog is small and does not try to chase it. I guess it's just growing pains, but the main goal is to get the GSD to stop going after the cat every time he's sees him.
Train the dog not to chase the cat, then they will learn to tolerate each other, then train the dog again not to chase the cat(because once the dog thinks the cat likes him he will take that as an open invitation to play) Just be persistent...usually it only takes one swat from the cat and the dog learns, but some dogs it takes more.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 07:30 PM

I understand this post is a little over two months but heres my help on what we did with our GSD to help train her.

1st week of exposure to the cats was all crated. Any sign of aggressive behavior was quickly countered with firm behavior til she became accustomed to the cats. After that first week she was then allowed to be leashed for about 2-3 weeks around the cats. Again, any sign of aggressive behavior was quickly corrected and she was informed it was not acceptable.

After the first month or two she now gets along great with the cats. And we began the process this past week with our adopted dog. Unfortunately, she's around 4 y/o and 75 lbs so anything less than 10 lbs is a snack to her
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-17-2013, 03:20 PM
Elite Member

We have baby gates up and even though we are still working on the pups impulse control when the cat runs, it helps

I think our cat is teasing the dog and it doesn't help that the cat was a declawed rescue so when he slaps the pup the pup thinks he is playing

~ Dori ~

Koda: 14 yr old Samoyed
Nita: 7 yr old GSD
Ryder: 5 yr old Samoyed
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-17-2013, 03:38 PM

Great advice here from Lou I am going to work on this myself with our GSD / Cat issue here.

Game Chasing (Crittering)
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-17-2013, 05:17 PM

Spray bottle with water, with nozzle turned to stream/squirt. I got a few of them at the dollar store. Works for our cats when they jump on the kitchen counters and works when Ralphie gets a little too rough with the cats. Even though it's just water, both the cats and Ralphie now only need to see me pick up the spray bottle and they know I mean business. Then they start blinking their eyes and pulling their heads back like there's acid or something in it. I don't even spray them anymore!

Ralphie - GSD, rescue, Gotcha Day 2/10/13
Nightshade - born 6/3/2003 - Domestic medium hair/Maine Coon mix (feline)
James - Domestic short hair (feline), rescue, Gotcha Day 6/23/11
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 01:24 AM

Great to know there's hope lol

Great stuff in here. My wife and I brought home a 6yr ol GSD Saturday. It's my first GSD and I already love her lol. The problem was we have two cats that are always on edge whenever a third animal is introduced especially a 76lb dog. I was super apprehensive because she has never really been around cats. She definitely seems curious about them, she didnt growl or bark at them when we brought her home but she certainly wants to know what they are.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page