problems with the down command - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

problems with the down command

Whenever I tell her to go down she does it, but will roll on to her side. I think its because I taught her roll over, but I just was wondering how to get her back into the correct down position.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 02:01 PM
Crowned Member

Lure her. Put her in a sit and slide a treat under her nose so she has to collapse down to get it. You may need to use a new word for Down such as Platz. If you trained her to roll by saying Down, Roll. Then she's associated the two words as the command to Roll. I screwed up Come that way. Come, Heel...she automatically does a Heel now.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 02:46 PM

I am going down the same street right now you are. I would always have him sit but then I would go tell him down. Now when I say sit he lays down lol. He thinks its the same command. It was my fault he is doing this so I cant be mad so we are working on sit all over again. He understands sit but knows I am going to say down next so he just goes down so he can get his treat. Silly dogs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 02:53 PM
Crowned Member

Then correct for that. I would withhold the reward if he gets it wrong. Throw another command in there to mix it up for him.

Sit, Stand, Heel. And teach him to Down from a stand...same way as when you taught from a sit with a lure so their front feet go down first and their body collapses

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
Then correct for that. I would withhold the reward if he gets it wrong. Throw another command in there to mix it up for him.

Sit, Stand, Heel. And teach him to Down from a stand...same way as when you taught from a sit with a lure so their front feet go down first and their body collapses
He knows to sit I just think he likes to skip the sit when he knows he is going down right after. While healing he knows what sit is. Its just when him and I are messing around he does it. If I am being serious with him he knows to sit when I say it. I just think its funny he knows when I am being serious and being silly with him because he is silly with me right back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page