Puppy not wanting to walk / potty training - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

Puppy not wanting to walk / potty training

I have an 11 week old GSD and anytime I want to walk him on his lead, he wants to try and hold back or lay down. I proceed to lift up on the lead and drag him forward a bit until he starts to walk a little more. Sometimes I have to coax him with some treats to get him to walk a little ways. We walk first thing in the morning around 8:00 am, and I keep the walks down to about a half mile. Any advice to get him to walk a little easier?

As for potty training him, he's very sporadic where he goes. He gets to run around freely outside since I live outside of city limits. Our year and a half old female GSD never goes in the yard close to the house. I'm hoping he picks up on this habit of hers. I praise him when he goes out in the yard to do his business, but most of the time he goes in the garage. Should I limit his water intake in the evenings to stop over night accidents?

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 04:21 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

My puppies hate the leash and don't like to leave the yard for weeks and weeks.

So rather than dragging them down the street I choose to have them potty in designated parts of the backyard. And my puppy follows me around the yard with NO leash when they are young.

To exercise, I put the puppy in the car, and drive somewhere new. Cause somewhere new means they don't stop moving (to stay near the house) or pull back to get back to the house. In a new place the only known is ME! So me is where it's at and where they want to be.

I still tend to do the off leash though, in a safe place, with hikes because when they are young they WANT to stay with us. Around 5 -6 months they get independent and the leash (hm.... great age to start those dog classes) becomes more important.

You see this yet? --> https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...e-puppies.html

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

I have not seen that yet, but I'll give it a read!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 04:53 PM
Jag
Knighted Member

I agree. My guy is 14 weeks, and has only been on a handful of walks. Reason being I have a large fenced yard. First walk was a bomb out. He did what your pup did. Second walk, I had a "Duh" moment, and took our other dogs with us. BINGO!! Walks are FUN! There are things to do and things to see! YAY!! So next time you want to walk your pup, take your older GSD with you. If they hang out together at all and know they are a 'pack' your pup should want to follow. It's easiest with two people. I had my wife walk the girls, and I followed with Grim. At first, he was whining because he wanted to walk with them, not behind. Then, he decided that there was all this STUFF... everywhere...that he wanted to look at, sniff, explore, etc. and the other dogs weren't as important. It can be a pain, but it's useful because older dogs can teach our puppies things easier. If your older GSD is dog aggressive or people aggressive or reactive in any way that you don't want your pup picking up on, then don't do it. However, if your other dog is good on walks and is stable, this is a great way to get the pup used to a leash and walks. I used to want to get a pup out on walks right away. However, I've been doing things a little different with this guy... and spent the first few weeks only working on house breaking and bonding. The result is a pup that looks to me for direction.
If you try this, please let me know how it goes. It went so well for me.. and I'm curious if this will work for any pup. This is a normal puppy thing, though.

Wrath of Grim z Dragon
"Mr. Grim"- Threaten my handler. I dare you.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag View Post
I agree. My guy is 14 weeks, and has only been on a handful of walks. Reason being I have a large fenced yard. First walk was a bomb out. He did what your pup did. Second walk, I had a "Duh" moment, and took our other dogs with us. BINGO!! Walks are FUN! There are things to do and things to see! YAY!! So next time you want to walk your pup, take your older GSD with you. If they hang out together at all and know they are a 'pack' your pup should want to follow. It's easiest with two people. I had my wife walk the girls, and I followed with Grim. At first, he was whining because he wanted to walk with them, not behind. Then, he decided that there was all this STUFF... everywhere...that he wanted to look at, sniff, explore, etc. and the other dogs weren't as important. It can be a pain, but it's useful because older dogs can teach our puppies things easier. If your older GSD is dog aggressive or people aggressive or reactive in any way that you don't want your pup picking up on, then don't do it. However, if your other dog is good on walks and is stable, this is a great way to get the pup used to a leash and walks. I used to want to get a pup out on walks right away. However, I've been doing things a little different with this guy... and spent the first few weeks only working on house breaking and bonding. The result is a pup that looks to me for direction.
If you try this, please let me know how it goes. It went so well for me.. and I'm curious if this will work for any pup. This is a normal puppy thing, though.
I'll give this a shot. Our older GSD is absolutely great, people friendly, loves walks, listens well and isn't aggressive at all. She usually goes on walks with us in the morning but leads us as we don't put a leash on her unless a vehicle is coming down the road. I'll make sure to let you know how your method works out for me. Fingers crossed it goes well!

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 08:29 PM
Banned

my pup wasn't doing a 1/2 mile at 11 weeks old. are you
walking your other dog down a road (in the street) without
a leash?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-19-2012, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiedad View Post
my pup wasn't doing a 1/2 mile at 11 weeks old. are you
walking your other dog down a road (in the street) without
a leash?
I have her leash, but we live in the middle of no where on a gravel road that hardly sees traffic.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-23-2012, 12:26 AM

I had a horrible time with Ranger when he was younger! He'd go about a block and look at me with complete boredom (ready to go back home!) I have NEVER had a dog that didn't like a walk! As he's gotten older he enjoys walks more (he's2 1/2 now). It took a looong time tho!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-23-2012, 07:34 AM
Crowned Member

As long as the distance is not to far, if you persist in walking he will make the adjustment. Never seen it fail. Things have to be either on your terms or they are on the dogs terms. The more they are on the dogs terms, the more difficult routine things become in terms of the dog being compliant.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 07:57 AM

Make sure you've got a close eye on him, and when he tries to go potty in the wrong place, give him a slight startle with a "Hey!" or "no!" or something similar. Pick him up immediately (try not to get peed on!) and move him to where you want him to go. Then start giving him a treat any time he goes in the right spot, even if its only after moving him mid-pee
Link knew to use his pee pad in the house by day 5 of bringing him home using this method, and I stopped giving him treats for that after less than two weeks, and only praise him for going outside, which he quickly preferred when he could do it. I still reinforce him going outside with praise and treats and he does it immediately after going out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page