pulling - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-15-2012, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

pulling

my dog is brilliant on the lead as long as theres no other dogs if he sees one he gets sp excited and wants to play iv tried bringing his fave toy out and treats but he's not interested and pulls on lead? any help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 05:04 PM
Jag
Knighted Member

How old is your dog? Is your dog ever dog aggressive, or is this just "I want to meet and play"? Does your dog know "look at me"? "Sit"? "Down"?

Wrath of Grim z Dragon
"Mr. Grim"- Threaten my handler. I dare you.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

Hi 9 months old, yes he knows down and sit he understands look at me but on rare occasion I can't get him to down whilst by dogs or flowers, and it's a ' I wanna play aggresion'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 06:45 PM
Jag
Knighted Member

So he knows what you want, he's just being a butthead and "but I don't wanna" attitude. If you're not able to control him or distract or correct, then I'd go with a prong collar. Make him heel with you so that you can correct him. When YOU see a dog coming, put him into a sit if you want and have him look at you. If you want a short 'meet and greet' then allow that, then move on and end it. At first, you may want to just keep on moving instead of having him sit. This way he's not sitting there with energy building and excitement building... then he explodes because of the other dog that he wants to meet. YOU have to control the situation. So you have to decide if you want your dog to meet, for how long, etc. Or if you simply want to pass by. Use the prong to heel, to get the focus back to you... then reward and praise, praise, praise for what it is you do want to see. I have never used 'sit' with an oncoming dog. Sometimes I'll allow a meet that's brief, sometimes we just keep on moving. Maybe have a phrase or word "let's go" when moving by another dog. Just make sure that you have control and you're both controlling the environment and the timing. Then praise the heck out of him for doing what you want. Start NILF at home so he gets the total picture that YOU are in control of things, not him. Give him some time to do 'loose lead walking', but then there's serious time where he's got to heel. You can't correct on a prong the right way if he's not in a heel. You can try this with other collars (the pass on by) also. However, if he's harming himself with the pulling and you simply cannot get the 'walk by' on a normal collar, then use the prong.

Wrath of Grim z Dragon
"Mr. Grim"- Threaten my handler. I dare you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page