Next Command? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-05-2012, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

Next Command?

My 10 week old girl, Emma, can sit, lay down, stay, jump on command, and she comes to my command pretty well (about 80% of the time). What should I teach her next? I was thinking roll over but for some reason I can't think of other tricks besides shake. Sorry everyone just having a brain fart
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-05-2012, 12:10 PM
Master Member

If your puppy is that smart, you can proof the sit/down/stays in distractions and get it done faster and get her to do it while you're in motion (you keep walking straight and she has to sit when you sit but you don't stop to tell her to do that). Or... you can teach her to heel on either side of you, just to get her to know her left and right of your body. You pat your left leg and she goes there and sit. You pat your right leg and she goes there and sit. Work on good positions. Each command I find if it were to be done right and done well under distraction can take a while... for my dog at least. I'm not too into teaching tricks but more into teaching things that have a practical side to it.

Other things - teach her "leave it." Teach her eye contact with you on all commands.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-05-2012, 12:33 PM
Crowned Member

Drop it, leave it, off, shake, high five, touch, spin are a few that I always teach along with the basics. Plus loose leash walking, and "hold" (holding an item I give them)

eta; working rear end awareness and balance on a wobble board at this age is great to do, too. My 11 week old pup LOVES rear end awareness work and just spins and spins.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-05-2012, 12:47 PM
Master Member

If you run out of ideas, there is this book. I have the book, but haven't used it to teach any tricks yet.
http://www.amazon.com/101-Dog-Tricks-Activities-Challenge/dp/1592533256
Another fun thing is teaching behaviors for doggy dance, oops, Canine Freestyle. I don't know if a book is really necessary. Just watch some of the youtube videos.

http://www.amazon.com/Dancing-Dogs-How--Troubleshooting-Freestyle/dp/0793806739/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1349455414&sr=1-1&keywords=canine+freestyle

"And why do we fall, Bruce? So we can learn to pick ourselves up."
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-05-2012, 01:23 PM
Crowned Member

Leave it...wait...load...off...look....bring it...

Hondo Von Dopplet L Bauernhof "Hondo"- GSD
Lilie's Tug McGraw "Tug" - Golden Retriever
Maggie - Mini Dachshund (Rescue)
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-05-2012, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone these were some great ideas, I dont know why i couldnt think of anything on my own
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page