Couple various training quetions... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Couple various training quetions...

1) How do you "release" your dog from a training session and let him know he can now go play, get water, etc.? Do you have a special word? Just walk away?

2)I bought a clicker at wally world to start "marking" commands that he already knows while I wait for my Karen Pryor kit in the mail but so far, he wants to eat the clicker. When I click to mark the behavior I want, he tries to get the clicker from my hand, lol. How do I stop this?

3) How do you "mark" for the "stay" command? I've been putting him in a down/stay or sit/stay, Walk away, and come back, then click and treat. Does sound right?

Balen Patchon Adopted 8-28-12
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Failure *is* success, if you learn from it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 02:21 PM
Crowned Member

When training or play is over I say "all done" and put the treats or toy away

I've never had a dog choose the clicker over the treat, maybe he has a plastic or metal fetish lol. Mine loops over my thumb and fits right into my palm so they can't see it. Use the motion of him trying to get the clicker to teach leave it or off, when he moves his head away click and treat. He'll soon learn leaving the clicker alone = treats (I hope!)

I started the stay with a sit, slowly took a step backwards and when they don't follow clicked and stepped forward to treat. Once they get the idea not moving is the idea add in more steps and eventually leave the room. If they break the stay by stepping or lying down I would put them back in the sit position and try again

Hope that helps

Shanna

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 7 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 02:26 PM
Knighted Member

1) I use "free".. some us "ok" or "Yes!"...Just pick a word that you don't really use during training.. like "good". Too confusing for the dog. I like Free, because I NEVER use that during training or at home... so, it's ONLY for the release.

2) It's been a long time since I've used a clicker. But when I did, I held it in the opposite hand of the treat or toy. I could be right or wrong with this.. but it seemed to work. I'm right handed so the clicker was in my right, plus the dog is either in front of me or on my left... so the reward was always in my left. If anything, maybe try holding the clicker behind your back... "sit".. click.. reward with left. That will hopefully get his mind off attacking the clicker. Always worked with my past dogs. But then again, I never took any classes on clicker training... just worked with it on my own with what made sense to me and my dogs.

3) Personally, If I give a command....."Platz/down"... that IS his stay command. The command I give is where they stay until I release. When dealing with a pup or green dog... I work at small increments of time with a REALLY yummy treat or highly desired toy. How I work with mine: "Platz".. stand right in front for a few seconds... reward "free!"... Then work it longer, giving treats in between the free command. "platz".... 10seconds... "Good Platz", treat..... 10 seconds... treat.. couple more seconds... "Free!".. praise and reward. Same goes for Sit, stand, etc. Some use the command stay, but, I think it's a little too jumbled up in training... Much easier to say "sit!" and walk away.. then "sit, stay" then walk away. Much less confusing to the dog too, IMO.
Forgot to add... after he gets the stay in front of you.. gradually get further away from him. If he breaks the command.... go back to a step closer to him... and try again. Eventually, you can work your way out of sight and he'll stay put.

Alyssa
-Zira (01/09/11)
-Pakros von Jagenstadt "Duke" (01/06/10) -CGC
-Storm vom EnZ (05/16/12)

Last edited by TrickyShepherd; 10-01-2012 at 02:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 02:41 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchonGSD View Post
1) How do you "release" your dog from a training session and let him know he can now go play, get water, etc.? Do you have a special word? Just walk away?

2)I bought a clicker at wally world to start "marking" commands that he already knows while I wait for my Karen Pryor kit in the mail but so far, he wants to eat the clicker. When I click to mark the behavior I want, he tries to get the clicker from my hand, lol. How do I stop this?

3) How do you "mark" for the "stay" command? I've been putting him in a down/stay or sit/stay, Walk away, and come back, then click and treat. Does sound right?

I use "ok" as my release command. Once said my dog is free until told otherwise.

Like Trickyshepherd, I don't use a stay command. Once I give a command (I.E. sit, down or stand) that is what the dog is to do until released.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 02:58 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchonGSD View Post
I would back up and "charge" the clicker first. Hold the clicker behind your back and hold a handful of tasty treats in front. It's really OK if he's trying to nibble the treats, you are *only* charging the clicker, not asking for eye contact or focus or anything like that. Just click the clicker and as you do, push a treat forward so he can take it.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
I would back up and "charge" the clicker first. Hold the clicker behind your back and hold a handful of tasty treats in front. It's really OK if he's trying to nibble the treats, you are *only* charging the clicker, not asking for eye contact or focus or anything like that. Just click the clicker and as you do, push a treat forward so he can take it.
Thanks for this suggestion! I didnt think to do that.

Quote:
TrickyShepherd Some use the command stay, but, I think it's a little too jumbled up in training...
He actually has a great "stay" I just wasnt sure how to mark it with the clicker since I'm just marking stuff he already knows.....I'm thinking though that I dont need to use to the stay command for sit and stay as many of you say you dont use it, and it makes sense why you dont and I think your right, it feels jumbled when I have to say it.

Balen Patchon Adopted 8-28-12

Failure *is* success, if you learn from it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page