Help with a very territoral dog - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-22-2012, 11:37 PM Thread Starter

Help with a very territoral dog

Hello, i have recently adopted my five year old white german shepherd, Bruno, from a friend who just recently moved out of the country. When my friend first got Bruno as a puppy, she lived in a condo, and due to her job, she never really had the time to get Bruno the proper training and let him be interactive or social with other dogs or people. Now that i have adopted Bruno, i love in a house with kids in the neighbour hood and neighbours. My issue is that he barks constantly at the neighbours and kids on the street whenever they come out, and he does not listen to me when i tell him to come to me. He keeps barking, until i get a hold of him finally and then put him inside. On walks, he also barks at other dogs and pulls me towards them. Other these issues, he is a very sweet and loveable dog. I have no idea what to do and any help would be great. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-23-2012, 11:13 AM
Crowned Member

I suggest enrolling in a training class that uses positive motivation.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-23-2012, 11:20 AM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by middleofnowhere View Post
I suggest enrolling in a training class that uses positive motivation.
I agree.

In the meantime you are NOT helping by allowing him loose in the yard, Allowing him to bark at everything like a crazy dog. Then finally taking him back in the house.

If he's in the yard YOU are in the yard. If you are ignored, then he needs to be on a leash in the yard with you just calmly taking him IMMEDIATELY back in the house when he barks.

Most of what he's doing can be managed with the leash so he starts to learn that you aren't just flapping your lips for nothing but instead there is INFORMATION in your words.

Have you started with any training to get your leadership role and bond with him?

All of these are great sites with information no matter how old your dog is.

How is your 'engagement' training going? --> Engagement - Key to Training

How many dozens of tricks does your pup know? --> Teaching a trick is the least important part of teaching tricks

Is the clicker training progressing? --> Intro to Clicker Training (perfect for puppies!)

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page