Will my dog know to attack - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

Will my dog know to attack

Just curious, My pup Bella is 9 months old, if I was being attacked on the street or if someone broke in to my house would she know to attack? Iv heard that most dogs would protect to a certain amount, but German shepherds are ment to be the best protection dog, so would I need to send her to attack training, or would she know to attack and protect already?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 11:07 PM
Knighted Member

At 9 months old she's just a puppy,so I doubt she would 'attack' now. Protection comes with maturity,but it should always be a measured response and you need to make sure you have 100% control over your dog.I'm sure others will weigh in more,but I wouldn't worry about protection training now.
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 12:23 AM
Crowned Member

The sight of a GSD is enough to deter most bad guys.

You don't want a trained attack dog - unless you want a huge liability and lawsuit waiting to happen.

If you want better security, get an alarm system.

Anne

Nothing is as simple as it seems or as complicated as we make it~

Attitude is everything -- Pick a good one!
Sofie AKA Ussina vom Haus Brezel
Jack von Jagenstadt
Tatty - Burmese bad cat

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 12:55 AM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyppi View Post
The sight of a GSD is enough to deter most bad guys.

You don't want a trained attack dog - unless you want a huge liability and lawsuit waiting to happen.

If you want better security, get an alarm system.

I can't agree more. Just having a big loud 'police' dog is more than enough for me. Plus having them well trained and socialized so they are calm when out in public really freaks people out

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 01:32 AM
Crowned Member

No, she likely will not. She will vocalize once she is an adult, but protection dogs are trained, not bred or born. Most schutzhund dogs won't bite off the field. She will readily defend herself if needed, but defending (actual biting) you is a trained thing.

As for trained dogs being a liability, I disagree... I take my dogs to that scary place in their emotional spectrum regularly, and train to have immediate compliance in that state of mind. I'd wager my dogs are much safer to be around in the presence of a threatening individual than a dog that is unfamiliar with this emotional state of mind.

Hunter, CWDC UScA Helper
Beschützer des Jägers v.d. Sportwaffen
Katya v. Hügelblick
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald
Yōkai v.d. Sportwaffen
Arya v. Allrothaus
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 09:10 AM
Knighted Member

I wouldn't count on it. I do think most GSD's will give warning barks (my pup started doing this at about 3 months old if she saw or heard something strange around the house), but unless they are specifically trained in protection, I doubt they would.

I don't think protection trained dogs are dangerous in public. Police couldn't have their k9's biting random people, that would be a huge liability. If you see a schutzhund dog in action, the second their handler call them off they stop. It's a game, they aren't emotional, they are being directed by their handler.

I think the sight of a GSD is enough of a deterrent for most people. My pup is solid black too, which seems to make her extra scary to people (lol, she's a huge suck!). There's something about GSD's that scare people and something about black dogs that also scare people, so I got a double whammy with her.
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 11:33 AM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterisgreat View Post
As for trained dogs being a liability, I disagree... I take my dogs to that scary place in their emotional spectrum regularly, and train to have immediate compliance in that state of mind. I'd wager my dogs are much safer to be around in the presence of a threatening individual than a dog that is unfamiliar with this emotional state of mind.
The people I know that train their dogs, and keep training/working with their dogs have dogs like yours, wonderful in all situations.

The problem with some people that want trained 'attack' dogs is that they do not train their dog at all but instead send the dog away. Then they never do any practicing or brushing up on the skills so both dog and owner aren't really sure of their skills any more.

So it's as always, the handler/owner that screws it all up by not knowing what they are doing and what's involved. These are the handlers that have dogs that are a huge liability (in my eyes) because neither dog or handler really knows what they are doing after the dog comes back from training. PLUS, there's a weird mindset in some of these owners that say the WANT their dog to 'kill' anyone that comes into their house yard and LOVE the barking/growling/hate for everyone but themselves. But when the mailman/mother-in-law gets bit, SUDDENLY it's an issue

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 11:39 AM
Master Member

My dad decided to pretend to attack me once, to see what Gabe would do. He didn't "attack", but he leapt around, barking and growling, and seemed very distressed (Poor baby!). I was pretty satisfied. At 6 months, he's already protective. He keeps an eye on his house and his person, and he hasn't had any sort of attack/security training.

My menagerie:

Gable: Black and Red GSD: 03/02/2012 -08/06/2018
Suki: Russian Blue: 03/02/2013 -
Sully: Tri-Color Collie: 04/22/2016 -
Magnus: GSD Mix: 07/23/2016 -
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 12:02 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anitsisqua View Post
My dad decided to pretend to attack me once, to see what Gabe would do. He didn't "attack", but he leapt around, barking and growling, and seemed very distressed (Poor baby!). I was pretty satisfied. At 6 months, he's already protective. He keeps an eye on his house and his person, and he hasn't had any sort of attack/security training.
I think if I tried this, my pup would jump, bark and join in on the attack!

She's always looking for an excuse to rough house with me!
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 12:30 PM
Master Member

Gabe loves to as well, but my dad must have seemed very convincing to him...

And it's hard to complain about them loving to rough house...It just means they're healthy, active puppies...Even if they can be little pills half the time.

My menagerie:

Gable: Black and Red GSD: 03/02/2012 -08/06/2018
Suki: Russian Blue: 03/02/2013 -
Sully: Tri-Color Collie: 04/22/2016 -
Magnus: GSD Mix: 07/23/2016 -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page