How do I get him to indicate by sitting? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

How do I get him to indicate by sitting?

Balen is fabulous at playing find it. He finds whatever I've hidden (treat or kibble) every time. He has only missed "it" once or twice from getting to excited. I just show him one time what it is we are looking for for that particular game, and he is spot on finding it every time. The problem is that when we started playing this game, I would hide a kibble or treat in my hand, hold out both hands, and tell him to find it and I got him to touch the correct hand with his paw. Now he paws everything since we have moved on to hiding things in other places.....me, the furniture, boxes, whatever I've hidden the treat in when he finds it. He is pretty rough with the pawing "touching" so I'd like him to sit and look at it/me when he finds what he is looking for. How do I transition from the touch to the sit?

Balen Patchon Adopted 8-28-12
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Failure *is* success, if you learn from it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 10:58 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

As soon as he finds it tell him to sit and repeat until he is fluent and does it on his own. Well that is an old school way but it works for a lot of detecion dogs. If you want him staring at it his reward shoud come from source location. which is why ball launching devices and dutch boxes are so popular in detection dog training.

The other way would be, if clicker trained, to let him find out where he can't get to it and as he throws behaviors to get it mark and reward on the sit.

Nancy

-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Thanks! The "old school" way was what came to mind first, I just wasnt sure if that was exactly right or not.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 02:40 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

I have recertified a cadaver dog annually since 2008 and that is how he was taught and how my new pup was taught. Like I said there are some other schools of thought on shaping an indication but enough reps it becomes 2nd nature.

Nancy

-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 03:03 PM
Crowned Member

You could also do a lot of sits in other contexts. I find whatever command I do the most (often whatever basic command I taught first) sort of becomes my dogs' "default" and when they want something, that is what they try. For Nikon this is sit and for Pan it was platz/down. So if you want him to offer sits there, maybe do a lot of sits, randomly and it might make him more likely to try that first.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
You could also do a lot of sits in other contexts. I find whatever command I do the most (often whatever basic command I taught first) sort of becomes my dogs' "default" and when they want something, that is what they try. For Nikon this is sit and for Pan it was platz/down. So if you want him to offer sits there, maybe do a lot of sits, randomly and it might make him more likely to try that first.
This makes sense, thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page