Koda just will NOT pay attention - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2012, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

Koda just will NOT pay attention

I'm trying to train my 7 month old puppy new tricks. He knows Sit and Speak. I use the Natural Balance rolls, all flavors are mingled into a pouch so he gets a flavor at random to keep it interesting.

No matter how hard I try, how much patience and time I put into trying to train him the Down command, he just walks away. Well, any command as a matter of fact!

He's gotten down that if he just automatically sits then speaks without me or my boyfriend telling him to do so, he thinks he'll be rewarded. Yeah, we're guilty of giving him treats for it because we thought it was excellent behavior until we realized it really isn't unless given the command.

It actually get's annoying and I've been trying to switch it up on him. I've been trying to get him to Speak standing up on all fours, but he insists to sit then speak. not sure if it's preference, but it kind of bothers me.

Does anyone have any input on how to get him to be more interested, please post here! I'm open to all suggestions!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2012, 10:19 PM
Master Member

What is your goal with your puppy?
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2012, 10:20 PM
Crowned Member

The best think I know to do is to wait until the dog volunteers the behavior you want, then name it, praise it & reward it - lavishly.

so just sit around some evening. When doggo gets bored and lays down - there's your opportunity.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2012, 10:22 PM
Banned

i read "when your dog isn't doing what you want you have to
and ask yourself what am i doing wrong". maybe you need a trainer.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2012, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

My goal is to get him to focus on me and stop walking around. That's the real problem is him wandering off like he doesn't care. Like I said, I'm trying to keep it interesting with different treats. I'm rewarding him with one and lots of pets and verbal praise.

Also, I don't have funds for a trainer. I do however have the patience and time.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2012, 10:29 PM
Crowned Member

First... what motivates your dog? Maybe treats aren't his thing and he's not so food motivated. Does he like the ball? A certain tug toy? Those can be used as rewards just as you'd use a treat. You need to find something he wants to work for and it can be anything.

And when you train... is he engaged with you or is he focusing on other things? You can't train unless your dog is focused. Eye contact is key. Have you worked on eye contact?

First find something that he feels is worth working for. Then you want to engage the dog and make him focused on the task or whatever you're trying to teach. Then once you have this... then you'll start getting better results.

Is this your first dog? Have you trained any other dogs before? Have you done any puppy classes with him?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2012, 10:32 PM
Master Member

try a mouth full of hot dogs or cooked chicken. I'd also incorporate a clicker. When he looks at you, mark with the clicker and spit a piece at him. You'd be surprised at how well that works. I have two GSDs. I take every opportunity to mark attention, including while my non working female is drinking (they do not have free water). He looks at me until she is done, if he looks away, he gets a ah ah and a reset. When she walks away, after a few seconds it's his turn. You'd be surprised how many opportunities there are to work on this, both with treats and not.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2012, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy Dog View Post
First... what motivates your dog? Maybe treats aren't his thing and he's not so food motivated. Does he like the ball? A certain tug toy?

And when you train... is he engaged with you or is he focusing on other things. You can't train unless your dog is focused. Eye contact is key. Have you worked on eye contact?

First find something that he feels is worth working for. Then you want to engage the dog and make him focused on the task or whatever you're trying to teach. Then once you have this... then you'll start getting better results.

Is this your first dog? Have you trained any other dogs before? Have you done any puppy classes with him?
He loves these treats. He knows they're in the fridge and when we walk past it or open it we is sitting right there at our heels waiting for a bite.

Balls and other toys don't phase him at all. He knows eye contact, which is the command Focus, but he's just walking around as if he's bored when I'm showing him what to do.

He is my first dog. I don't have any prior experience with any dogs. I have not done puppy classes only because I do not have the funds for them. Not only that, but my work schedules me at random hours on randoms days, so I wouldn't always be able to make the classes if I were able to pay for them.

It goes like this: I say Focus, he looks at me while I have the treat in hand. Reward. I put another treat to his nose and pull it downwards and he's looking at my hand and still sitting. I say Down and I know he knows what it means. After a few seconds he gets up, walks away and lays down somewhere else. If it's not Sit or Speak, he's not interested.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2012, 10:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
try a mouth full of hot dogs or cooked chicken. I'd also incorporate a clicker. When he looks at you, mark with the clicker and spit a piece at him. You'd be surprised at how well that works. I have two GSDs. I take every opportunity to mark attention, including while my non working female is drinking (they do not have free water). He looks at me until she is done, if he looks away, he gets a ah ah and a reset. When she walks away, after a few seconds it's his turn. You'd be surprised how many opportunities there are to work on this, both with treats and not.
LOL! That's insanely hilarious, but it's worth a shot I guess. He is on the clicker, too. I do use Ah Ah to mark mistakes and I wait longer to reward him.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2012, 10:38 PM
Crowned Member

It sounds like you're kind of all over the place with the dog training and you might just be confusing your puppy. I'm getting confused just reading about his training.

If I were you, I'd do what you can to get into a puppy training class with a good trainer. Puppy training really isn't much at all... I think they run about $125 for like 6 weeks of class around here. They run these classes all day at different times throughout the day at a lot of these places, so maybe just explain to the trainer about your work schedule and see if they can work with you. I think it would be a huge help for both you and the puppy to have a trainer with experience watching and explaining in person.

In the meantime... check out this guys youtube videos. He does some pretty basic stuff that may help. Notice how focused and engaged he has his dog and the results he gets.

https://www.youtube.com/user/tab289

Last edited by Lucy Dog; 09-19-2012 at 10:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page