How to teach dog to cover eyes/nose - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

How to teach dog to cover eyes/nose

I've seen videos and read about teaching this trick by placing a little piece of tape on the dog's nose, and then capturing the behavior when they try to wipe it off with their paw. I tried to do this with Ava, but she didn't really seem to care at all about the tape being on her nose! Is there another method I might try to get her to do this trick?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 08:34 PM
Banned

how old is your dog?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 08:57 PM
Knighted Member

sort of like this?

I know this is unconventional and may be a bit cruel but I would tickle Smokey's whiskers with my fingers. He would swap my hand away and that's sort of how he learned the behavior. It isn't perfected but it's a semi-start
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

She is 5 months. She already has more than 20 learned commands which she performs beautifully every day, but she is getting bored with them. I haven't taught her anything new in a while, so I thought this would be a good challenge for her. Any suggestions on how to teach it without the tape trick?

ETA: Sheeva, that is what I meant! I might have to try that. Perhaps it would also be easier at first with her on her side, like Smokey here.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 09:02 PM
Knighted Member

If that doesn't work, try tickling the eyelashes. (I hope I don't get yelled at for doing this ). It might be irritating to the doggy but it'll get you sort of what you want...
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

Did you try the tape method? It worked with her for the first two attempts, and after that she didn't even care about it being on her! hahaha! All the videos make it look like most dogs react the same way... but not Ava!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 09:11 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by breyer08 View Post
Did you try the tape method? It worked with her for the first two attempts, and after that she didn't even care about it being on her! hahaha! All the videos make it look like most dogs react the same way... but not Ava!
No, I didn't try the tape method. This was my own idea. I hate when my hair get's in my face and tickles it. I figured Smokey would dislike me tickling his face/whiskers/eyelashes as well

I also noticed how he would cover his face if a fly landed on it. It's just irritating...lol
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-16-2012, 02:33 AM

I almost have my dog doing this, but it's still spotty. I tried tape and Post-Its on different spot on his face, but he really didn't care and would leave them there. Then I started putting my hand over his eye and he would always swipe at it with his paw, but when I remove my hand and give the command, he'll reach for me with his paw instead of his eye.

Maybe a large pony tail holder/scrunchie-type thing fitted loosely over the muzzle? Or maybe something like a bandana tied loosely and slipped over the eyes? The problem with teaching this trick is you kind of have to annoy the dog to teach it!

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Jerry, CGC - born 12/8/2009, adopted 7/7/2012
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-16-2012, 06:44 AM
Master Member

You have to position the post it note so they can see it out of the corner of their eye Right in front of the eyes/nose seems to be a blind spot
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-16-2012, 11:45 AM
Master Member

What command do you associate with this behavior?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page