How to get longer stays? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-08-2012, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

How to get longer stays?

Dog will sit and stay and down and stay but won't stay for more than maybe 10-20 seconds. I have been trying to extend it out but have had problems. Will it take two people to teach her? Have one physically hold her down, or is there another way to teach her that she has to stay until I tell her to come, no matter how long it is. I have been just rewarding her if she does it for a somewhat longer time than usual to build up, but it isn't working out too well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-08-2012, 03:10 PM

Don't have someone hold her down, as that will make the experience extremely uncomfortable and unpleasant for her! Just work very slowly. Your puppy is only 4 months old right now, so you shouldn't expect her to be able to stay put for a really long time. Stand next to her while she stays, and reward her after each time, gradually building up the amount of time. You might also find it easier to have her do a longer stay in a down position instead of sitting, since at her age the attention span is still not as long. You should also start working on the "watch me" command, which will help with the stay. Point to your eye and say "watch", and reward her for looking you straight in the eye. Gradually build up the amount of time with the watch as well, so that she will stay focused on you and avoid distractions.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-08-2012, 03:15 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Here's how I teach stay: https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...ml#post2057182

The problem with holding her in place is that she's not learning anything. She needs to learn to stay without being restrained in any way. I do agree with breyer, if your puppy is only 4 months old you need to keep your expectations reasonable. Puppies have short attention spans.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-08-2012, 06:31 PM
Crowned Member

First they have to learn down. The best down is when they are in a relaxed position..laying with their hip relaxed, not like they are ready to jump up and go. When they are in the down position, treat the dog continually while telling it to stay. Never take your eye off the dog, if they start to get up, direct them back into a stay immediately. Once they start getting that, given them some treats and tell them to stay and walk around them. Once you get around them, treat them again for staying. Eventually they will stay without treats, but use the treats to get that solid stay. Do several SHORT sessions every day. Also make sure you have a release word, use this word when you want the dog to come out of the stay...for example..okay, lets go, etc.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD

Last edited by llombardo; 09-08-2012 at 06:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page