How Do I Teach "Take It" - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

How Do I Teach "Take It"

Teddy's pretty good at "leave it" and "drop it," but "take it" eludes her and me. I don't really know to to teach this command.

I tried teaching "take it" with her ball, but she'll take it a couple of times and then she's done.

Help. Please.

Jo & Teddy,my female german shepherd, born Christmas Day, 2011
"One reason a dog is such a lovable creature is his tail wags instead of his tongue." - Unknown
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 06:11 PM
Crowned Member

I taught mine by putting a treat in my hand and making a fist...they will lick you, paw you, and give you puppy dog eyes to get that treat, you tell them to wait...as soon as the dog backs off, open your hand and say take it...Once they get that part(its good for impulse control too) you can start using it with other things

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 06:16 PM
Crowned Member

Tease the dog up with what you want him/her to take, then give the command.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 12:12 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Thanks, llombardo and onyx'girl.

Teddy is already doing the "take it" and "leave it" with treats, and the "leave it" has carried over to other things, as well - like the food on the counter, etc. Unfortunately, the "take it" hasn't carried over to anything else, but I suppose I haven't really been using the phrase a lot outside of our "training time."

She's learned everything else so fast, that I suppose this is just one of those things that is going to take more than one lesson to teach. (Of course, she isn't consistent in complying. )

Jo & Teddy,my female german shepherd, born Christmas Day, 2011
"One reason a dog is such a lovable creature is his tail wags instead of his tongue." - Unknown
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 01:29 AM
Elite Member

I taught "take it" with a bully stick, which she loves. Just offer it and just as she is about to put it in her mouth say "take it." Then you can easilyswitch this to similarly shaped items, like a stick or a stick-shaped toy saying "take it" and then lots of praise and treats for taking it. We then had to work up to actually holding the item for longer.

Shawn
Mom to five kids and
"Saber" Jette vom Wildhaus BN RN CAX JJ-N HIC CGC
Kira vom Snoozhaus ZZZ CGC!!!

Saber's Blog:
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 09:38 AM

Our trainer told us to use one of their toys - one that they like - put in palm of hand and AS they are taking it, say "Take It" and treat. Do it over and over to get them to learn the command, then move to something they dont like quite as much and do the same.

We are still working on this - we can get ours to take it, but then she immediately drops it - still trying to get her to keep it and take it to someone or hand it back to us!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page