submissive urination - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

submissive urination

So last night, my boyfriend and I got home after we made a short trip to the grocery store. We had let Gunner roam free for the first time and everything went great, until my boyfriend found a piece of hair on the couch. Since Gunner is not allowed on the furniture, he got into this 'funk'. His ears back, head and tail down, very submissive as if he knew he was in the wrong. Then he sunk down on the floor and started to urinate, then rolled on his back.

It was not like my boyfriend yelled at him, but I just don't know what to do. I never had a dog who would do it. Help!

~ Jesi
Gunner - GSD (Adopted 6/29/12) - Registered Therapy Dog Inc.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hero - GSD ( Awaiting at the bridge for me )
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 09:11 PM
Master Member

Tazor rolls over for a belly rub and is a fountain of tinkles.. I'm hoping he outgrows it. He doesn't do it when he's yelled at, just excited to see ya. Idk how to correct it. Maybe work on his confidence?

Jen Nyce

Airbrush Artist

Tazor Von Best GermanShepherdinTheWorld
`10 months
Pennsylvania

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 09:29 PM
Elite Member

Ignore it. Do not try to correct the dog. He/she is already showing absolute submission with the urination. The dog is showing his/her insecurity and any kind of correction will only worsen the situation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 09:36 AM
Crowned Member

Ditto. Stosh used to do that when the vet examined him or when he got very excited meeting strangers...we ignored it and he outgrew it
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 09:52 AM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Ignore it, don't add to it in anyway if you see he thinks he's a 'bad dog' and is starting to stress.

I'd have probably run to the treat jar with great excitement and started a fast game of 'run thru your tricks and get some treats' to break the tension and stress your pup was feeling. They can be VERY perceptive and spiral into the submission unless you do something.

For excitement urination, I find ignoring is best to keep them calmer. For the stressed urination I try to remove the pup from the stress. And at the least not be that stressor! If they have done something wrong, I need to just have them know that without going so over the top the 'belly up and peeing' starts. There is NO training when that happens cause all the pup is thinking is 'love me love me love me' with no link to their behavior.

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 02:14 AM

I agree to ignore it. Mine urinated several times a day from excitement and submission but is slowly getting better. She is 1 yr old. She mainly urinated from excitement when my husband comes home and reaches down to pet her. He started to ignore her and then tell her "outside" and would then greet her there where it doesn't matter.

Brandy 1999-2011

Frisco 2001-2013

Cheyenne 2011
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 02:29 AM
Banned

How old is this dog?
As the other said, ignore it.

but also -
Quote:
We had let Gunner roam free for the first time and everything went great, until my boyfriend found a piece of hair on the couch. Since Gunner is not allowed on the furniture, he got into this 'funk'. His ears back, head and tail down, very submissive as if he knew he was in the wrong. Then he sunk down on the floor and started to urinate, then rolled on his back.
Don't let him fail. Don't let him roam. You've only had him a few weeks now, and he doesn't know "right" from "wrong". Obviously the tone of voice your bf used made the dog feel as if he was in for punishment.
So just crate the dog until he's been with you a few months and knows the rules.

Also - if you plan to let him free roam while you are not supervising, the DOG is not responsible for things that "go wrong" while you're away. The temptation to sit on the couch is greater than any "fear" of being punished when you get back home.
It's not going to end well (dog can do a number of "misdeeds"), so your choices are, 1) crate while you're gone, or 2) let him roam and be angry at him when you arrive back home.

I know what I'd choose.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post
How old is this dog?
As the other said, ignore it.

but also -

Don't let him fail. Don't let him roam. You've only had him a few weeks now, and he doesn't know "right" from "wrong". Obviously the tone of voice your bf used made the dog feel as if he was in for punishment.
So just crate the dog until he's been with you a few months and knows the rules.

Also - if you plan to let him free roam while you are not supervising, the DOG is not responsible for things that "go wrong" while you're away. The temptation to sit on the couch is greater than any "fear" of being punished when you get back home.
It's not going to end well (dog can do a number of "misdeeds"), so your choices are, 1) crate while you're gone, or 2) let him roam and be angry at him when you arrive back home.

I know what I'd choose.
He is around 4-5 years old (as far as we know). Yes, we have been ignoring it, and it has been going well. There are still somethings that make him but his head down, ears back, but peeing less (yay! something I don't have to clean up). We have trying to get him out of that funk if he gets into it by throwing a ball, to distract him.

My boyfriend and I both don't want him to fail, as he seems to surf the counters and get into the trash (taller one with lid). So to prevent that, we make sure nothing is on the counters and replaced the trash can by getting a smaller one and putting it under the sink. As far as the couch, we have been putting our coffee table on it. We close the bedroom door, and only leave the bathroom door open, as if something happens and he needs to use the restroom, he can go in there and it is less to clean up.

As for the crate, we have one and he loves it - but he tends to try and escape (pulling/biting/etc) at the wires. He has cut up his nose before, and zip ties seem to work until he gets his teeth on some and snaps them off.

~ Jesi
Gunner - GSD (Adopted 6/29/12) - Registered Therapy Dog Inc.

Hero - GSD ( Awaiting at the bridge for me )
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 01:32 PM
Banned

We use plastic crates but he sounds a bit anxious. It's a good idea to keep him acclimatized and able to be crated. Often anxious dogs can go through worse periods, so keeping him at least able to be safely crated is a good idea to keep himself and your home safe. You might snag a vari-kennel off Craigslist or some such and try that
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 10:03 AM
Master Member

My dog has been doing this for a couple weeks. He is around 3 and we just adopted him. When I come home I start talking to him as I'm walking up the stairs. I ignore him when I come in, but I talk or sign or something so he don't go and cower thinking I'm mad by not talking to him. He hasn't unrinated until a few days yay!

R.I.P- Smokey my GSD/Husky. You are my hero, my heart, my soul and you will forever remain in my heart. You were a true companion. I love You and miss You so much. Run like the wind!!

Chief-GSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page