car chasing - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

car chasing

I've always taken Lily on walks around the neighborhood and haven't really had any problems but now for some reason she wants to chase every car that comes by us. Luckily we do our walks early in the morning so there aren't very many cars but I still need to teach her not to do it. Any help on how that process should work would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 09:32 AM
Crowned Member

Walk her on a leash so she can't chase cars. How old is she? When you see a car coming, stop and put her in a sit/stay. She stays until the car is past and big reward for accomplishing that.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 09:36 AM
Crowned Member

Leash, treats, have her sit and give the "Watch me" command, then treat. She should be focused on you, not the cars. Keep her engaged.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 02:51 PM
Elite Member

Put her on a leash. She is obviously not ready to be off leash.
What Jax08 and Sunflowers said. Great advice.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 03:34 PM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

When I first got Keeta, she went from being afraid of cars to wanting to chase them. Solution was to always have her on leash, and not even give her ONE opportunity to think that car chasing was an option. Shows no interest in cars now, but that was a few years of ALWAYS being a on leash, or when trained reliably, to stop and sit and wait for a car to get by before we continued our walk.

Took a lot of consistency, always was thinking ahead to avoid me slipping in my control, and it payed off. Took years, but now ignores cars.

No simple solution. It will take a leash, a lot of obedience training, and 100% consistency over time. Good luck!

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

Sorry if I wrote that wrong but she is on a leash. She will be walking next to me and when the car comes she will dart after it but obviously doesn't get far because of the leash. I don't ever let her off leash unless in the back yard. We are still working on her recalls and such. I'm so glad you all suggested the sit/stay command for when the car comes. That is what I started doing but I wasn't sure if it was the right thing. Thank you for the comments.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akparker View Post
I've always taken Lily on walks around the neighborhood and haven't really had any problems but now for some reason she wants to chase every car that comes by us. Luckily we do our walks early in the morning so there aren't very many cars but I still need to teach her not to do it. Any help on how that process should work would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.
Nala was four months old this past Sunday and started the same thing..She walks perfectly right beside my wife and I like a pro but a week or two ago she started the same thing. We spend the summer in our cabin in north ga so there are not to many cars so you can hear them coming along the mountain roads. We do the sit stay when we here the car coming which she does immediately does.. We stand between her and the road and try to focus her attention on us while changing from loose leash to short leash.. She does everything possible to look aeound us than yank off she tries to go just as its passing. Funny thing is when we walk her in town where there is a lot of traffic she ignores the cars.. We are getting to the point where she will sit and stay for one or two in five cars that pass..
She has a puppy class tomorrow night so I will ask the trainer for any other suggestions and let you know.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 08:42 AM Thread Starter

Again thank you everyone for the comments and I will keep doing the sit/stay command.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page