Confidence - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

Confidence

Gunner is a very 'dominate/strong/powerful' dog when it comes to looks and when one first meets him; however, the more I get to know him (adopted him almost 3 weeks ago) I am seeing that he is lacking in confidence in himself. Anyone has pointers, tips, etc?

~ Jesi
Gunner - GSD (Adopted 6/29/12) - Registered Therapy Dog Inc.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hero - GSD ( Awaiting at the bridge for me )
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 01:48 PM

We have a rather shy rescue (16-month-old female), too. I've heard that any form of obedience training or agility can help a lot with shy, underconfident dogs. I've also heard trainers recommend nose work classes for shy dogs.

Right now, I'm reading Leslie McDevitt's book Control Unleashed, which contains some really, really excellent advice about how to build confidence and focus in a reactive or distracted dog. I recommend it to you!

Best of luck to you and your pup! I look forward to hearing more about his progress.

Abby |

Pyrrha & Eden
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 02:42 PM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Can you give examples of how he is "dominant/strong/powerful", and examples of how he shows a lack of confidence? What is his background?

Lucia

2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

Maybe it isn't confident, but more insecure in himself; now that I think of it, it could be separation anxiety. The biggest thing I notice is that he won't stay laying down when I get up. He always needs to know what I am doing.....

Probably separation anxiety.

~ Jesi

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 02:57 PM
Crowned Member

My dog does not have SA and follows me everywhere I go. If I go to the bathroom, she goes. Outside, she goes. To bed, she goes. To the computer, she goes.

Some dogs are just more velcro than others.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 02:58 PM

That doesn't in itself mean that he lacks confidence - just that he likes being with you and near you. Does he freak out and panic if he does not know where you are?

Lucia

2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
My dog does not have SA and follows me everywhere I go. If I go to the bathroom, she goes. Outside, she goes. To bed, she goes. To the computer, she goes.

Some dogs are just more velcro than others.
Exaclty - some dogs are just more social, some more independent. Neither of my two have separation anxiety, they are fine whether they are left at home, or crated, or boarded, or left waiting in the car. Yet one is very independent, and can spend the whole day sleeping in a different room, only showing up when she hears the Fridge door open, while the other one likes to follow me around from room to room. Just their different personalities.

Lucia

2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castlemaid View Post
That doesn't in itself mean that he lacks confidence - just that he likes being with you and near you. Does he freak out and panic if he does not know where you are?
Yes, he does seem to panic. When being crated, he tries to get out. Right now we are trying to move, and with both my boyfriend and I are working, he has to be crated. We are doing as much as we can for the time being. I have been reading things to work with anxiety, but since he doesn't live with me right now, I can't do as much as I like.

I don't know anything about him because he was a stray.

~ Jesi

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page