Pulling a cart? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Pulling a cart?

Has anyone ever taught their GSD to pull a small cart to help haul things around like maybe small kids or yard trimmings or supplies on a long walk or hike? Any ideas about how to train for that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 05:06 PM
Crowned Member

Tiffeagles does weight pulling and Rott-n-GSDs does skijoring.

They'd probably be excellent resources to reach out to.

Willy
RATCHX3 High Jinks vom Neuanfang - Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013 DN, SG, SR, CA
Inspire Spark to Ignition! (Ignite) Gotchya Day: 10/8/2016
C-ATCH Pimg - RATO, UJJ (x2), DJX, HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 10:36 PM
Elite Member

A carting woman comes to the Perry, GA UKC shows all the time... it looks pretty cool! The equipment is expensive, though. At least the carts you can ride on are. My mentor got a set for her GSDs, a few of her girls will pull but they're not to keen on hem and haw (I think those are the terms?) just quite yet. They still prefer to go where they please.

If you have a dog with a lot of angles in the hindquarters I'd stick to a four-wheeled cart so there's no downward pressure on the spine and hips. I've only seen larger dogs take on the two-wheeled carts the vendor brings, which look to me to put a fair amount of downward weight on the dog.

A woman with white shepherds uses her dogs under a cart to go grocery shopping and for pulling wheelchairs. Its pretty cool lookin', thats for sure!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 09:30 AM
Crowned Member

i might be showing some ignorance hear, but i think you may be setting your dog up for some injury hear. there are some breads that are very suited to this activity, think larger breeds, gsd , not so much.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntergreen View Post
i might be showing some ignorance hear, but i think you may be setting your dog up for some injury hear. there are some breads that are very suited to this activity, think larger breeds, gsd , not so much.
Well right now I'm sort of learning about this myself, I've really only ever seen it done before, but I have seen a lot of GSD's doing what I would call "recreational pulling" where its more about giving them a fun job to do rather than actually using them as a draft animal. When I train carriage horses, the average commercial carriage can weigh anywhere from 400 to 700 pounds and the average person can pull it (with effort) because its on wheels. So 100 pounds isnt that much weight to pull for a 60 plus pound GSD.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marbury View Post
A carting woman comes to the Perry, GA UKC shows all the time... it looks pretty cool! The equipment is expensive, though. At least the carts you can ride on are. My mentor got a set for her GSDs, a few of her girls will pull but they're not to keen on hem and haw (I think those are the terms?) just quite yet. They still prefer to go where they please.

If you have a dog with a lot of angles in the hindquarters I'd stick to a four-wheeled cart so there's no downward pressure on the spine and hips. I've only seen larger dogs take on the two-wheeled carts the vendor brings, which look to me to put a fair amount of downward weight on the dog.

A woman with white shepherds uses her dogs under a cart to go grocery shopping and for pulling wheelchairs. Its pretty cool lookin', thats for sure!

Ya I'm not crazy about those two wheeled carts at all, really. I dont think putting a lot of weight on a dogs back is good for any breed of dog.

I'm thinking more a long the lines of having a small cart for the dog to pull with maybe couple drinks in it or supplies when we go on our long walks or to the park. Maybe stick my two year old (30 lbs) in the cart and have the dog pull him around outside the house for exercise on the days when we really didn't get out to the park or what have you for exercise......
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 12:50 PM
Elite Member

Let me ferret around the internet for a minute and see if I can find the vendor's website if she has one. Found it!!

http://www.chalosulky.com/

This is the woman that comes to our shows, she has a LOT of information to share. I have only picked her brain about it for a few minutes since it's too expensive and too much equipment for me to get into personally. I bet she could give you every bit of advice you'd ever need.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marbury View Post
Let me ferret around the internet for a minute and see if I can find the vendor's website if she has one. Found it!!

http://www.chalosulky.com/

This is the woman that comes to our shows, she has a LOT of information to share. I have only picked her brain about it for a few minutes since it's too expensive and too much equipment for me to get into personally. I bet she could give you every bit of advice you'd ever need.
That site has exactly the sort of info I was looking for, Thanks!!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 01:44 PM
Knighted Member

PatchonGSD, I'm also interested in this subject, and was wondering if you've started yet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page