Drop on Recall - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 09:01 AM Thread Starter
Zombie Queen Moderator

Drop on Recall

We were talking about this on another thread and I took these today. We have been working on this with Beau (the pup)

The first time I was a bit disappointed but realized I had been holding the camera and not using my hand signal (he needs to learn it either/or/and)

FWIW normally my voice is not that harsh but between just getting over a cold and two code orange ozone days my voice is a bit rough.

I had mentioned I was taught to throw the ball AWAY from him and not reward between me and the dog so that he would not be inclined to break the down and come towards me.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 09:17 AM
Crowned Member

I'm just starting on this. Thanks for the videos!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 02:08 PM
Elite Member

Love it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 02:43 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

The second one was much better than the first, it looked like he was really starting to figure it out!

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Zombie Queen Moderator

I think I confused him the first time because I did not give him the hand signal because of the phone camera! I need to make sure I do both. The 2nd time I did and it was immediate. As usual, any problems are MY fault, not his ya know....

Nancy

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 06:03 PM

Looks like he's having fun, too!

Rory 10.5yr GSD/Lab
Alexa 4yr GSD/Mal
R.I.P. Koda
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 06:44 PM

Looking good!!!!

I thought this video was helpful for the down on recall. I hope it can give others some good ideas. Drop on recall components - YouTube
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 06:52 PM
Crowned Member

I will mark the drop and throw his ball directly to him so he is rewarded in place. I don't want him to get all wiggly waiting for his reward.

Elaine and the herd
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 07:15 PM
Master Member

That's pretty amazing. Who's your trainer if you don't mind me asking? I'm looking for a trainer for advance obedience.

Abby - Jan. 1, 2011 to Dec. 27, 2013
Bandit - Sept. 17, 2012
Rogue - Feb. 14, 2014
"A tired dog is a happy one
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Zombie Queen Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDkid View Post
That's pretty amazing. Who's your trainer if you don't mind me asking? I'm looking for a trainer for advance obedience.
This was a fellow we bring down ocassionaly from New Hamspshire to help with the team dogs..he just gave me some tips at a one time training. And I had a drop on recall with Grim so mostly I trained the same way, the difference being that part about throwing the ball away not between.

I will be working with a police Master Trainer next month on HRD and hope he can help me some more with the obedience I need to certify. ..... It is all pretty rough right now I think. But I don't think he does classes.

I am waiting for a rental copy of Crate Games to come but I may just buy that. He did not break the stay but he was definitely thinking about it on the first time. I think if I had told him to stay it would have been good. I don't video much because it messes with ME. Guess I should set up a cameral like Mrs K but all I have is a cell phone.

Nancy

- Partner in Crime
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page